Trying to decide whether to replace macbook with macbook pro in time for edu discount

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heyp, Sep 7, 2010.

  1. heyp macrumors 6502

    Jan 29, 2008
    I currently have a 13" 2006 (rev A) Macbook with a core duo processor running Snow Leopard. I upgraded the RAM to 2GB and the HDD. It seems to struggle with multiple programs open and especially with virtualbox running Vista (only used when I absolutely need it for school).

    I'm trying to decide if it's worth upgrading now in time for the education discount to a base model 13" macbook pro. Will the core 2 duo make that much of difference? I don't really game with my macbook. It's mainly used for surfing, email, word processing, some photo and video editing, and virtualbox, but I often have several applications open at once.

    My thinking is to hold out for another year, but if it would be a huge improvement, I would consider opting to upgrade now. Other than some noise from the fan working hard, my macbook has held up pretty well.

    Would appreciate any advice, thanks.
  2. thecarrot macrumors regular

    Jul 20, 2010
    I'd say don't get the 13' right now because theres a chance it could be updated soon. It would be much much faster though and would probably suit your needs quite well, its just that do you mind if it will be updated soon?
  3. fcortese macrumors demi-god


    Apr 3, 2010
    Big Sky country
    tough call based upon what you need for usage. Next year's 13MBP may very well have the i series processors. However, the mid2010 MBP will definitely be more powerful than your present 2006 model and faster as well. If you think you can hold out to Q1 or Q2 2010, start saving your money now and go for it then.
  4. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

    Jul 27, 2010
    Vista requires 1GB just for the operating system, the MBP 13" is great, next refresh will be better but thats like five months away! Buy now if needed

Share This Page