Trying to Decide!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andy317, Mar 19, 2008.

1. andy317 macrumors member

Hi all,

I am having trouble deciding what iMac to buy. My options are:-

20" Imac 2.4Ghz for £949;

20" Imac (Penryn once released);

or 24" Imac (refurb) for £949.

Is there a disadvantage in getting the 24" refurb like unable to sell at a good price once I want to upgrade?

Thanks in advance!!
    Andy

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

24" Referb -- very good deal for the $$$. Plus the 24" screen is way nicer than the 20"

3. andy317 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry,

Just to add I have also found out from the homepage of this site that I can get the following:-

20" Imac 2.4Ghz with Mac Office and 2 year guarantee for £949. Would this be better than getting XP Version through to use in bootcamp?

Thanks Again
    Andy

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

If you mean Mac Office versus a copy of Office 2007 to run in Windows via Bootcamp, yes, almost certainly. Office Mac 2008 currently has some serious issues, but not having to reboot just to get to Office is a pretty huge advantage to offset, and one hopes Microsoft will be fixing the problems with updates. There's also Fusion and Parallels to save the reboot, but that still means firing up Windows just to get to Office, which I wouldn't do.

You could also try and get a less expensive copy of Office 2004 Mac, which is decent, so long as you're not dealing a lot of .docx etc. files.

5. andy317 thread starter macrumors member

Thats great Makosuke, thanks!! I may look into getting it for Mac instead.

With regards the different models listed in the first post, anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

6. andy317 thread starter macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I am new to Macs and want my first to be fantastic so that I will stick with the switchover.

Could I have your suggestions as I have been so indecisive recently (TBH the last year!!!:eek:)

Regards
    Andy

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Given those set of choices I'd probably get the refurb 24" unless you think that screen will be too big for you (believe it or not, I've heard people complain about that--depends on the layout of your desk and how far back from the computer you can get).

At least in the US (I assume UK is the same) Apple's refurbs are generally quite nice--they're most often "open box" returns, meaning in mint condition. Since it comes with a full warranty, from your point of view the only difference is that it probably comes in a slightly less attractive box. If it's whatever the previous iteration of that model is, you should of course be aware of anything that's changed (processor speed, chipset, etc), but if it's the current gen it's basically new but cheaper.

I've recommended Apple refurbs to a number of people, and the only issue that's ever cropped up was a bad optical drive in a Powerbook, but that was fixed under warranty, and of course you can have the same thing happen on a brand new machine.

If you don't want a refurb, it's probably in your best interest to hold out until the next update, since you don't seem to be in any hurry--at that point you can chose between a recently-refreshed iMac or the previous generation at clearance prices (at least in the US, Apple usually lists the previous generation models in the refurb section at significantly cheaper prices until they've sold out, and other retailers usually do the same).

8. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

I suggest you go with the 24inch refurb... dont waste your life waiting for new releases... i reckon it will be your best bet and tbh there wouldnt be that much difference between it and penryn, and i doubt for your needs you would notice it...

refurbished macs are generally almost brand new... or most are brand new anyway.

go for it and have fun in the mac world....