trying to delete applications from desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sknsnw9, Sep 3, 2007.

1. sknsnw9 macrumors newbie

so apparently i have an alias application on my desktop and i dont know how it got there in the first place. im trying to delete it cause i want it off of my desktop. when i empty the trash, then try to open any one of the programs, but it wont open because the applications is in the trash so i need to drag it back to the desktop then my programs will work.

any tips of how i can get rid of it?

thanks

2. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Yes, delete all of the alias's from your dock, open the .dmg files from when you originally downloaded the apps, drag the .dmg file into the "applications" folder and then eject the disk image. You can now drag the app from "applications" to the dock in order to make a shortcut.

You should also read this (has pictures and better explanation) and this for more about disk images.

3. sknsnw9 thread starter macrumors newbie

you miss understood me, its not any programs or anything like that on my desktop. it is my "applications" as noted in pic that is stuck in my desktop not on my dock. so therefore i have 2 "applications" one on my desktop and the other in my finder. i want the one on my desktop GONE! and have the programs still work after it is deleted which is should because the original application is in the finder but after the "alias" applicaition was copied into the desktop it wont allow me to delete it. I tried to drag the applications into the finders application but nothing happens.

[​IMG]

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Are you talking about the Applications thing listed on the left hand side bar of finder, and that being the only one you want?

The sidebar of finder is just a list of aliases, they just link to folders

5. sknsnw9 thread starter macrumors newbie

no, its on the right.

this pic shows the finder open along with the application and that is fine i have no problem with that, but if you look on the right you will see the "application" and when i double click on that guess what opens up, is what you see in the pic opens right up to the finders application. so its the same thing.

and what i want gone is the application on the right on the desktop. i like to keep my desktop clean..

[​IMG]

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Did you accidentally drag your entire Applications folder onto your Desktop?

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Ok, is that think on your desktop an alias, or did you accidentally move your applications folder to your desktop?

If it's an alias you can just delete it, if it is actually your applications folder then you need to move it back to where it should be, which is a root folder on your hard drive.

Double click on your hard drive icon, that'll open up a finder window, is there an applications folder in the root of your hard drive? If not, then you accidentally moved it to your desktop.

8. sknsnw9 thread starter macrumors newbie

uh...i guess so i cant remember if i accidentally dragged it or copied and pasted it cause i was trying to copy one of the folder.

anyways i double clicked on my hard drive and there is an application root in there.

if i try to delete the application thats in my desktop. after it is deleted then all of my programs doesn't work cause it says the application is in the trash and you need to move it out for it to work something like that...

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

move the folder from your desktop back to your hard drive root.

10. sknsnw9 thread starter macrumors newbie

so i deleted the application from the hard drive root and then dragged the application from the desktop onto that, same thing happened it will not come off from the desktop but it did show up in the root, man this is driving me nuts...

after doing that i deleted the one from the desktop, but samething happened as i stated earlier.

11. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Whoops, sorry about that. BTW,.. how do you get anything done with that desktop?

12. sknsnw9 thread starter macrumors newbie

its fine....

i used shapeshifter to change my look. and icons from somewhere i forgot where, but you can google it to find some there are a bunch.

anyways...so apparently like half of my programs are gone. is there a way where i can go back a few days like a restore? just simliar that you can do on windows?

i dont have my cd with me since im not at home and i wont be near an apple store for 2 weeks...