iPad Trying to ditch jailbreak - cannot restore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by slitherjef, Sep 18, 2013.

1. slitherjef, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

slitherjef macrumors regular

So, I backed up my ipad mini via itunes (even updated itunes, mountain lion and other things, rebooted, plugged my device in, itunes pops up, says last update today so, I click on restore and I am first of all told I have some items that I will need to buy again if I don't back up (I thought I backed everything up!?)

So, I tell it okay, then I get a lovely message
    "There was a problem downloading the software for the iPad "Name of iPad" You do not have permission to access the requested resource."

First off, I would like to know why backing up my iPad mini don't back everything up and why I would need to buy the stuff again. Unless it means the cydia stuff.

Guess I will just try to reset the thing in settings since it just hangs on the update settings in the device anyway.
    I did have thoughts about just going back to stock since I don't have use for the jailbreak anyway.

Better yet, I will just leave it as is, and go get a nexus 7. iOS is really not for me anyway.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Almost everyone is having issues being able to get a completed download of the IPSW's

3. Mercury6, Sep 18, 2013

Mercury6 macrumors member

I've been getting this same message for the past 3 hours.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It might be cause they just released ios 7 to the public and their servers are getting millions of hits from all over the world;)
    Be patient.

5. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

6. Tzuten, Sep 18, 2013

Tzuten macrumors 6502

Ok, so I wanted to upgrade at least my iPad 3 as well, I get the same error...

I tried to download the firmware files manually but it says when I try to update that the file is not compatible with my iPad's firmware, even though it's the correct one. So I'm assuming my JB is causing this. I cannot restore the device as I don't have a backed up copy anywhere and I keep getting a permissions error in iTunes when trying to download it from there. Any thoughts?

7. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

a bit busy i guess…

Yesterday all of a sudden zero app updates showed up on my device, this morning 23.

Just some patiences while everybody and his brother is upgrading (and losing there JB and permanetly losing iOS6 capability for most device:

"MuscleNerd
    ‏@MuscleNerd
    By far the biggest blunder people will make today will be updating to #iOS7 without even realizing they lose iOS6 JB forever (most devices)"

8. theaudiobully macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I was experiencing the exact same issue last night whilst trying to restore my iPhone 5. Does anyone know if this been resolved at all?

9. Mercury6 macrumors member

I kept getting the same message so i downloaded ios7 from a link on idownloadblog.com and I restored my ipad.

10. slitherjef, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

slitherjef thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I got it. Sort of.

My games are missing. I guess creating a backup to the computer actually does nothing. My photos are there and itunes tried to shove over 2 thousand photos back to my 16gb ipad mini. And it did this with out even calculating disk space first. Surely 2000+ photos is a little more then the 13gb that is available on the device. :eek:

Game center still has my stats, but looks like my games are toast and will require a download which means, I will likely have to start from scratch. Luckily only a couple angry birds games, but still, all I seem to do is start from scratch from any game eventually because of updates. Something overlooked. I can't help but to think that a rooted android device would allow me to install my backups and continue from where I left off.

Maybe it was a user error. Possibly, as, if I had not jailbroke my device, I could have just updated, kept all my stuff and would have been good to go.

Since I am starting from scratch, I guess I should decide if I am going to keep this device or pass it on to someone else.

Oh, I guess I am stuck with the thing since it is now linked to my apple id. Oh well.

11. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

If you made a backup in itunes and restore that it should have your game saves.

12. slitherjef thread starter macrumors regular

Evidently I missed a toggle switch or something in itunes (I don't use it much). Its not a huge issue, just an annoyance.

It kept saying something about me needing to repurchase apps if I restored and asked if I wanted to backup. I was then given the error message in OP. So, I tried to just update the software, it downloaded then gave an error (6 I think) and left the device in DFU mode. Unplugging told me to connect to itunes. Then it restored.

13. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I always use AppBackup from Cydia to backup my App Store apps. I have game saves from three years ago, now going on 4 I think!

Having said that, Im 99% sure the dev is no longer updating the app. I think if enough people ask him to update it he said he will do it. Coincidentally it did not need to be updated for iOS 6. I really hope that is the case for iOS 7 too! One of my most favorite and trusted packages from Cydia. It has never failed me and I rely on it so much. I have a TON of games that ive saved over the years. haha. Whenever I get the itch to play an old game and pick up where I left off, I'll just install the game from the app store and use appbackup to restore it to the exact state it was in before I removed it from my device.