Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I had to download iTunes since i whiped out my OS on Windows a couple months ago and it did recognize my iPhone. Tried to downgrade it to to 2.2 and it said error, iphone could not be restored.

Now the phone is in DFU mode...i think. Keeps showing the cable and iTunes logos and then switches back to the Apple logo. Keeps going back and forth with that.

So..what can i do now. I cant seem to get it to stop doing that. Its been a awhile since i have done this with my iPhone. Im tying to restore back to factory before i loaded my stuff on it so i can possibly sell it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
2G iPhones still sell for over $100. To downgrade that iPhone, you need to use iTunes 8.2.1 or older and put it in DFU mode. The lowest you can easily get to is iOS 2.0.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Just downgraded to iTunes 9.2 which i had when i used my iPhone. I had the newest version while doing this so i hope this works.

My 2G is i near perfect shape and i have the box, dock and everything else that came with it. I never used the earbuds either. I could easily get $100 or so and it is unlocked. I just dont need it anymore.

Edit... having issues getting 9.2 to work since i had the newer version on there even though i deleted it

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
You must use iTunes 8.2.1 or older. Must.

Well ive tried iTunes 8, 8.02, 8.1 and it just wont work. Plugged my first gen iPod into it and it says it cant be used either. Perhaps because it has 3.2 on it and the iTunes needs to be newer.

Have no idea what im doing wrong with the iPhone but one thing is for sure.....iTunes just really sucks and is just a huge pain in the ass.

Just dont know what else to try. Im tired of uninstalling and again installing iTunes. Not to mention it isnt easy finding these older iTunes programs. So glad i dont have to use iTunes anymore and will never again after this is resolved.

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Got it done. Couldnt get it down to 2.2.1 since iTunes wouldnt recognize my phone after several attempts and different iTunes versions but my goal was to wipe it out and get all my stuff off of it and it is right now wiped clean with 3.1.3 firmware, jailbroken and unlocked.

I also have a first gen iPod i may do the same thing to it as well and sell both.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Put my first gen iPhone 2G on eBay today and it sold in 39 minutes for $120. Honestly i wasnt sure it would sell for that since i started the bidding at $95 w/ a $120 Buy it Now, but after it sold so quick, i was thinking maybe i didnt ask enough...lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.