Trying to download iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by skywalkerr69, Sep 21, 2014.

1. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Hi There,

Have been trying to download iOS 8 over the weekend multiple times. All I get is, "Contacting the iPhone update server" are they still backed up with people updating? Seems like a lot since it came out a few days ago. Wifi doesn't even validate it. iPhone 5.

2. RockSpider macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't worry about it too much a lot of people are having problems with IOS 8, so you might actually be one of the lucky ones. Before you try again, I suggest you read up on the problems people are having, it might tempt you to wait for a while.

3. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Even with the servers getting slammed on Wednesday, I still managed to get close to maximum speeds on my home connection (slow 3.0 Mbps service). Are you trying this using iCloud or plugged into iTunes?

If you're getting intermittent server interruptions with an OTA update, you're probably better off using iTunes. Just plug your phone to your computer, and when the iOS update options come up, click "Download Only". That way, if the servers are still slow, you can keep your computer running until the update file finally downloads. Interrupted downloads can take up valuable storage space that you cannot purge until you restore the device to factory settings.

So far, iOS 8 has worked fine on my 5s. It's actually a lot more stable than iOS 7.0 and I haven't noticed anything more than a few minor issues.

4. skywalkerr69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Thanks for the tip, yeah I am using iTunes. It finally connected once, they it kicked me off for network issues. Read this is a common problem.

----------

If I hit download only, am I able to unplug my iPhone from iTunes?

5. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Absolutely. To me, especially if you do the update close to release day, being able to unplug your phone from iTunes while it downloads the installation file is the whole point of doing the "Download Only" option. The file will be there whenever you're ready to apply the update, and there's no harm done if the download gets interrupted.

The size of the update file, and the possibility of getting interrupted is why I don't do OTA updates on major revisions like this. Interrupted OTA downloads for apps and music often wind up chewing up storage space that you can't get back unless you restore the phone to factory settings.