Trying to drive an Epson 545 with an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dubina, Apr 15, 2012.

1. dubina macrumors member

The wireless printer was connected to my wireless network and it worked fine until I reset the network password/security key. After trhat, I signed my PCs and macs onto the network with the new password and they worked fine...well, the iMac in question didn't work as well as it might have, possibly because I reinstalled the OS from the iMac disk.

First, I was told that Epsons don't read strong network passwords. I did not change passwords, however. I was also advised to bypass the wireless network, and connect the printer straight into the wireless router with an ethernet cable. I did that, but nothing changed,

I see three little signal bars on the Epson printer.

Now, when I try to add a printer in System Preferences, add-a-printer, I see no printer to add. I see a protocol that either wants to be an IPP, an LPD, or an HPjet Direct socket. I do not know how to deal with that. I see the next line wants an IP address. Currently, the printer has no IP address, (I think); because the address says the IP is 0.0.0.0. The add-a-printer page also includes lines for name and address. Add-a-printer also let me browse to look for printer software, and I found software for the 545.

Thanks,

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have the model below yours...The 535W...If I'm right, surely your printer is full wifi? If so, you should not need to cable it at all.

Try looking in your manual for full wifi setup. All I did was plug mine in, and entered my wifi address and passwords ON the printers screen.

WOrks with all my Mac's, my iPad and iPhone too.

3. dubina thread starter macrumors member

ello, ello

Hi, Macman,

I have got to the point where I now see a printer in the printer box on Print and Fax in System Preferences. I took the ethernet cable off and put it aside. Probably that was somebody's bright idea to get around a more difficult wireless connection problem.

I changed the wireless router password to be the same as the network password. I was getting...and now still getting ... a fail message from the printer: "Entered security key/password that does not match the one set for your router/access point".

I don't understand that message.

When I try to print a page from the iMac, I get a printer status box that tells me the page is printing ... connecting to the printer ... (but) ... "unable to connect to the printer; will retry in 30 seconds". And so it goes.

Any ideas?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Re-set your router / modem to passwords you know and try again.

5. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I have the new 545 and had trouble connecting it via WiFi to network that includes Macs & one PC laptop. Once I added the unit via USB I went back to WiFi. However, I can't scan via WiFi and added the USB cable back. I read recently that Epson is aware of the inability to scan via WiFi and is promising a firmware fix. FYI - my password is reasonably complex and long.

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Ooops, my mistake I have the 645, which I think is the same except for duplexing.

7. DARK N00DLE macrumors newbie

Just to clarify, did you reenter the network/password on the epson? try reentering the password on the epson, maybe that will solve the problem. I had to to a reset of my network this past weekend and I reentered the password on mine and it worked just fine.

8. dubina thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, all

@ DARK NOODLE

{You said,

Just to clarify, did you reenter the network/password on the epson? try reentering the password on the epson, maybe that will solve the problem. I had to to a reset of my network this past weekend and I reentered the password on mine and it worked just fine.

Yes, I did.

Still no joy.

@ dornblaser,

You said,

I have the new 545 and had trouble connecting it via WiFi to network that includes Macs & one PC laptop. Once I added the unit via USB I went back to WiFi. However, I can't scan via WiFi and added the USB cable back. I read recently that Epson is aware of the inability to scan via WiFi and is promising a firmware fix. FYI - my password is reasonably complex and long.

When I got the Epson and installed it on the network, it worked fine for a while...no problem, printing bliss, so to speak. After the network password reset, however, I get no connection...so far, after much groping about for passwords, ethernet cables, printer set up procedures, reinstalling OSX, etc.

The Epson shows three little reception bars and it sees my network name, but it doesn't connect to it, or my router doesn't connect to the epson, however that works.

@ Macman,

You said,

"Re-set your router / modem to passwords you know and try again."

Tried to. Strange result. I put the ip address in my browser address window and took a shot. On the iMac, that worked yesterday. Today, I got a big fat white screen.

On my PC, I did the same. Put in the router ip address (as I did yesterday on the iMac). Hit enter. It asked me for a password. I gave a password, thinking it wanted the network password, not the admin password. Hit enter.

It gave me a big fat white screen, same as the iMac.

I vaguely remember a time when printing was easier and more reliable.

9. dubina, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

dubina thread starter macrumors member

@ Macman again,

I turned off the EPSON again (had done that several times), then back on, and set it to detect the network automatically. Earlier, at wit's end, I had set it manually. Now, when I look at the Network Settings, I see this:

Name: (Printer name ("EPSONxxxxxx"))
    Connection: WLAN disconnected
    Obtain IP address: auto
    IP address: 0.0.0.0
    Subnet mask: (a blank space)
    Wireless LAN: manual
    Communication: infrastructure
    Network SSID (correct)
    Security (none)
    Password: "not set"
    MAC address (a bunch of characters, Ok, I suppose)

So I am wondering about the "WLAN disconnected" thing, the "IP address = 0.0.0.0" thing, the "Wireless LAN = manual" thing, the "Security = none" thing and the "Password = not set" thing.

All of those things look suspicious and probably interrelated. What do you think?

When "status" indicates WLAN disconnected, I assume that means the printer is disconnected from the network. I do not know about the ip address = 0.0.0.0 thing, but surely it refers to the printer and not the network. I do not know what "wireless LAN = manual" means...whether that is good or bad and what to do if it is bad. I do not know which password the printer wants, but I have put the network password in five or six times and EPSON doesn't seem to like it. Likewise, when I was able to use the ip address to reset the router password to the network password (and it may have been same anyway, because I couldn't see it in the Linksys screen), that made no difference either.

Incidentally, I looked up the Connection: "WLAN disconnected" problem on the Internet, and found that lots of people have complained about over time. I did not see any good answers, though. Some answers used ip config to try to see what was going on, and I don't know if this Mac has a correlate utility.

10. DARK N00DLE macrumors newbie

You would be correct, your printer is not connected to the network, if it was the IP address would be whatever the IP address for your router is plus a couple of digits at the end. For example, the AirPort extreme default IP address is 10.0.1.1, then your printer should have an adderss of something like 10.0.1.2, 10.0.1.3, etc. So the reason you can't find it on your computer is because its not connected to the network. The MAC address is unimportant unless you are using a MAC filter on your network, if that's the case you need to enter the MAC address into your router security settings under the MAC filter to allow it to connect. I've done this before and if you have a MAC filter on, some networks depending on the router won't even show the network.

11. dubina thread starter macrumors member

Ok

You said,

You would be correct, your printer is not connected to the network.

If it was, the IP address would be whatever the IP address for your router is plus a couple of digits at the end. For example, the AirPort extreme default IP address is 10.0.1.1, then your printer should have an adderss of something like 10.0.1.2, 10.0.1.3, etc. So the reason you can't find it on your computer is because its not connected to the network.

So why is it not connected, and how do I connect it?

It was connected a month ago, and printing like a champ. Then, after I got through my network password reset, it was not connected. Is the printer supposed to detect the IP address, or should I put it in manually? I tried to put in a manual address a couple of days ago, and I did put in the IP address, (exactly, as a matter of fact), but the printer still did not connect. More to that point, the printer address calls for an address of the following form:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (rather than) xxx.xxx.x.x

In other words, it wants 3 digits where the normal address has only one, and it only provides a register for two 3-digit chunks where you say it should have three 1 digit chunks. According to your advice, the problem might be solved if I could manually set the right printer IP address, but I don't know what it is or how to make the EPSON two chunk register fit a three chunk printer IP.

The MAC address is unimportant unless you are using a MAC filter on your network, if that's the case you need to enter the MAC address into your router security settings under the MAC filter to allow it to connect. I've done this before and if you have a MAC filter on, some networks depending on the router won't even show the network.

Should I assume the MAC address is not part for the problem for now?

12. DARK N00DLE macrumors newbie

Probably the easiest way to try and fix the problem if you haven't already tried this: Write down your network name and password and then do a factory reset of the router, then re-setup your router with your desired network name and password. If that doesn't work, trying doing a factory reset on the printer as well.

As for the IP address in a simplified definition, it does not matter if it is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx or xxx.x.x.x, all IP addresses come in the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx format. the first two ranges is for the DNS and gateway which is usually set by the router you are using or the ISP depending on how you are connecting to the internet. they can range from anywhere between 0-255 as long as the address is not 255.255.255.255 (this is an address limitation) and 0.0.0.0 means you are not connected to any DNS server/router/network. When it's asking for an IP address and it gives the format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx it simply means its looking for an address with 4 ranges with a maximum of 3 digits in each range not break the rules above of 255.255.255.255 or 0.0.0.0

The MAC address shouldn't be an issue unless you turn the MAC address filter on when you set up the router.

Hope that helps.

13. dubina, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

dubina thread starter macrumors member

Thanks,

Thanks, DARK NOODLE,

I will give it a shot and let you know what cooks.

By the way, on "resetting the router"...

My understanding of how to do that is to put the IP address (192.168.1.1) in my browser address window and "enter". I did that last week, and got to the router set-up page. Now, when I do that, I get either a blank white screen or a box that asks for a name and a password. After I enter "admin" for the name and my recently reset router password, I get the blank white screen. I think that is a sign of trouble, as nothing else happens and the problem I am trying to fix by resetting the router is still not fixed.

When I reset the router password last week, I reset it be the same as the network password.

I assume the white screen is due to some kind of password problem, but I have not seen that behavior before on any PC or Mac.

14. DARK N00DLE macrumors newbie

Try using a pin to hit the reset button found on the router itself or if you still have the instructions or the cd that came with the router (might also be able to find it on the manufacturer website). The web browser method you tried should work so I'm not sure what's going on there.

15. dubina thread starter macrumors member

OK, more....

You said,

"Try using a pin to hit the reset button found on the router itself or if you still have the instructions or the cd that came with the router (might also be able to find it on the manufacturer website). The web browser method you tried should work so I'm not sure what's going on there."

I tried the web browser method again. (Because I found something on the Internet that said a manual router reset "should only be done as a last resort".)

As before, the web browser reset doesn't work (now, but it worked fine last week). When I put in 192.168.1.1 and enter, I get a message that tells me I need password authority to reach 192.168.1.1.80. I tried every password I could think of, including no name and admin for the password. The system repeatedly told me the password was wrong and invited me to try again. When I put the new (recently changed) network password in the password slot, and hit enter, then I got the blank white screen.

So I may be forced to the last resort.

Looking ahead to that, I wondered: What might happen if I do that? Here is the Internet hard reset procedure at

http://technicallyeasy.net/2008/01/how-to-reset-linksys-wrt54g-wireless/:

To reset your router, use the following steps:

1. Press the reset button for 30 seconds.

The settings should now be returned to the factory default settings, meaning any changes you had made would be deleted.

2. Open up your Web browser and enter “192.168.1.1″ in the address bar.

3. For the login, leave a blank ID and enter “admin” as the password.

That seems pretty straightforward, but what might be the consequences? I assume when I reset to the factory default that my wireless network will go down and stay down at least until I create a new network password. And how and where do I do that? Would the new router password automatically be the new network password? Last month, I paid 30 bucks and made a half-hour phone call to Mumbai to get my netword password sorted out.

Just trying to avoid the old IT death spiral....

16. DARK N00DLE macrumors newbie

Once you do a hard reset you should be able to re-setup the network using the web browser method. the default username and password are usually always admin, admin.

17. dubina thread starter macrumors member

Almost there...maybe

Hi DARK NOODLE,

You said,

"Once you do a hard reset you should be able to re-setup the network using the web browser method. the default username and password are usually always admin, admin."

I did the hard router reset, got the new network to see the printer, got the new printer to see the network, got the new network to see the Internet (as you see here), tried to print a page, saw the job queued up...but still something that is "connecting to printer" is "unable to connect to printer".

Now, I have "no security", and the printer still won't print wirelessly from the iMac.

This is very much like the situation I had several days ago except passwords seem not to be involved. But I wouldn't bet the ranch on that.

I can web browse to the router, though.

18. dubina thread starter macrumors member

More progress

I am now able to print to the Epson from a PC on the network. The Epson still does not print from the iMac. The message on the iMac is still the same:

"Unable to connect to printer"

Here is a (fairly) similar problem to the one I have now.

June 5, 2010 4:52 AM

My 2nd iMac suddenly is unable to connect to my printer, despite that nothing has changed: can the hive mind offer any solutions?

Bear with me; I'll try to sum up:

1. Both iMacs are running Snow Leopard 10.6.3, printer is HP LaserJet 3050.

2. Both Macs are hardwired to the router, which is fully functional. The 2nd Mac can connect to the Internet. I can connect to the 2nd Mac via Chicken of the VNC and via AFP under Finder. I have restarted the router.

My Note: My EPSON is connected wirelessly.

3. Firewalls and sharing settings have not changed and have been double-checked; I have repaired permissions and run scripts.

4. I have checked cables and connections; I can still print from 1st Mac.

5. Both Macs can see the printer (confirmed via System Profiler); the printers are set as default.

The only difference I can make out in the two profiles:

1st Mac has as URI: usb://Hewlett-Packard/HP%20LaserJet%203050?serial=00CNCJ282590 (printer is connected via USB)

2nd Mac has as URI: dnssd://HP%20LaserJet%203050%20%40%20[my computer name]._ipp_tcp.local (this I assume is Bonjour)

6. I have removed and reinstalled the printer on 2nd Mac via System Preferences > Print & Fax, several times. I have tried print reset, several times. Each time the install pane immediately identifies the printer as a Bonjour type via the 1st Mac. It then searches for drivers (taking longer than before it seems) and when it can't locate one, lets me then choose the correct driver ( I have also tried installing with a generic postscript driver; no dice), and then the printer is set up.

However, any print job from any application on the 2nd Mac will fail with the error message: "Unable to connect to printer; will retry in 30 seconds …" and will not print, ever.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to solve this. What am I missing?

Follow up:

After sleeping on the problem I decided to do a complete restore of the OS on the 2nd Mac from backup (from a week ago when I knew the printer was working).

After that I got the message "looking for printer ..." but no printing ensued. I checked printer sharing and for some reason it was off, so I re-enabled it.

Another print test gave the message "On Hold" and required authentication. I'd never seen that before, but a quick Google search turned up a solution: remove and reinstall the printer on the 1st Mac.

That seems to have reset everything and now the 2nd Mac is able to print again.

I still have no idea why it quit in the first place.

As I said, the printer I printed from today is a PC.

Does that 2010 solution indicate that I should use the PC to remove and reinstall the Epson on the wireless network?

19. dubina thread starter macrumors member

Last try failed

I removed and then reinstalled the EPSON 545 both from the PC and then from the iMac and neither r&r had any discernable effect. The printer error still reads:

"Unable to connect to printer, will retry in 30 seconds".

I can still print wirelessly to the Epson from other PCs and Mac on the network.

20. dubina thread starter macrumors member

Success

Searching the Internet for "Unable to connect to printer, will retry in 30 seconds"

Fron gsahli on another forum:

I suggest you try using the same comm protocol the Windows computer is using, port 9100 printing. On OS X we call it IP printing > HP Jetdirect.

So, delete from Print & Fax printer list, then add (+) and click on IP, then select HP Jetdirect, then enter IP address, choose/confirm model - Done.

That did the trick.

Amazing.

Thanks, DARK NOODLE. Thanks, gashli.

21. dubina thread starter macrumors member

@ all

I had the same problem again, and wondered why.

The Epson prints a "Check Network Connection" page, so I did that.

All of the seven network checks passed. That was good.

Then, I looked at "IP address" under "Network Status".

It was different. The new printer IP address was not the same as the old printer IP address that appeared under Print / Fax in System Preferences. Somehow the printer IP address changed. I didn't change it and I am confident my "other users" didn't change it either.

Why did it change? How to prevent that printer IP address instability from now on?

22. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

The exact steps will depend on your router model. But, you should be able to assign a permanent IP address to your printer.

For example, on my BT Home Hub I see a list of all of the devices connected to my home network, I can click on one of them and then check an option that says "always use this IP address for this device"

Should have something similar for your setup

23. dubina thread starter macrumors member

@ justmartin

Probably an open padlock icon to click on to lock and thus prevent changes, but I wonder why the IP address changes when the lock isn't locked. Gremlins?