Trying to export a 1920x720 movie to compressor..

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sarge, Oct 18, 2009.

1. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

I am working on a project which features two 960x720 clips side by side on a single timeline. I have built a 1920x720 timeline and exported a self contained QT clip (with those custom settings) but when I bring it into compressor the aspect ratio seems off. Anybody ever work on a double wide project that can offer some guidance?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Your options for HD are 1280x720 or 1920x1080. You want 1280x720.

Lethal

3. sarge thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarge

Thanks LW - so does that mean I have to reduce the size of the source video and work on that 1280x720 timeline?

EDIT:
    sorry meant to say before bringing it into the 1280 timeline...

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Is it DVCProHD footage you are working with? If so, just create a new sequence using the DVCPro HD 720p60 (or 24 if you are working w/24p material) preset.

If it's not DVCPro HD then just make a 1280x720 timeline and let FCP adjust the footage to fit.

Lethal

5. sarge thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarge

Yes, am working w/DVCPro HD 24pN files.

I have edited two sequences, each w/a person jumping on a trampolene. I want to show them jumping together onscreen, so I've streched the canvas to 1920 wide and used the wireframe to drag one clip -720 to the left and the other +720pixels to the right, so I've now got them how I want them. I'm wondering if I have to nest the clips in that 1280 timeline or, god forbid, start over. It's kind of a complicated edit for me as I am more of a camera op..

6. sarge thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarge

Ok - it just occurred to me that I may have to use the same wireframe/motion tab to reduce both images by 50%...am I on the right track here?

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The problem w/DVCPro HD is that it doesn't use square pixels (which is why a 960x720 clip gets displayed as 1280x720) and that makes messing w/the sequence settings difficult. All of the presets in video programs (be it FCP, AE, or compressor) expect certain things and you making something that doesn't conform to any standard.

If you don't mind having black bars on the top/bottom the easiest thing to do would be to make a 1920x1080 sequence and put the clips in there.

Lethal

8. sarge thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarge

I am thinking that the black bars might be the way to go for now, but I might try playing with the frame settings and see what happens.
    I originally planned to just show them on two monitors side by side but someone suggested I combine them on a single screen. (Funny, Larry Jordan made this sound a heck of a lot easier...)

Thanks for the help Lethal