Trying to fact check MS Windows 7 Website Tweets: Anyone wanna help?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by brucku, Aug 10, 2010.

1. brucku macrumors regular

So I was reading this dumb Windows 7 page. Microsoft makes an Office Suite for mac that is 100% compatible with the PC version of its suite (ok maybe not 100%, but surely functional as an office product).

Then on the website they say "if you use apple's productivity suite it could be tricky to trade files at school" - They are comparing buying a mac to only using iWork. Well, thanks to Microsoft 5 years ago, if i buy a mac - I don't have to use iWork. Pretty childish if you ask me. Microsoft solved this issue for us years ago. If you want to complain, be sure to remove your perfectly useful program from the mac software library and then tell people its not compatible.

Sooo. I wonder what else they were BS'ing about and i noticed their "live looking" twitter feed. At first glance it works just like a google search these days showing recent awesome comments about windows 7. The only problem is, i started checking out the twitter feeds of the people that are supposedly posting these awesome windows 7 comments: and I can't find any of them! The feed is certainly not live (which it pretends to appear) - Now I'm wondering if any of those damn tweets are even real?

I checked the first 5 I saw, went back at least 3 to 5 months of twitter history and couldn't trace the comment. When were these tweets posted? Why were they deleted from the users's history?

Anyone else wanna help dig to the bottom of this?

2. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

ITT: Someone way too serious about this issue

3. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I see nothing misinformed in the original Microsoft statement you quoted.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Let it go man. Don't take Microsoft's marketing pitch too seriously. Apple was slamming MS with the I'm a mac campaign. Its all marketing, and its called puffery, the exaggeration of features to help sell a product.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Personally I always felt Apple went a lot father and stretch the truth a hell of a lot worse than Microsoft does.

When you compare iWorks to MS works (same level here) MS works will be full compatible with office. iWorks on the other had is not. Often you will see formatting issues crop up from iWork to office but you will not see them from MS works to MS office.

MS marketing in this case is lot closer to the truth than apples ads.

6. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Well, duh... MS Works is developed by Microsoft and a stripped down version of Office. iWork is a ground-up creation of Apple's that they have worked to include compatibility. Also MS Works and iWork are in no way the same level of product (Just because they have "Work" in their name?) iWork, though missing features, aims to be on par with Office. MS Works is a stripped down Office and aims to be nothing more.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

iWorks on par with MS office. Now that is a laugh. iWorks is no were close to the level of Office.

Also the reason I choose MSworks vs iWork is more because they cost about the same. Not because of the name.

iWork is also closer to MSworks than office in more way than one. A lot of the features and power in office is just not in iWorks. But those are the more advance stuff.

8. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Read again.. "aims to be on par with Office." Obviously Office offers far more but the products are directed at the same audience moreso than MS Works and iWork are.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I read the "aim to be on par" part. But aiming and hitting are 2 very different thing. It hit closer to MS works than office