Trying to figure out a cloud storage solution for my Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rbf1138, Jun 11, 2012.

1. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

So I'm moving from a Pro to a 128gig Air like several others 'round these parts. What I'm looking to do is store certain files in the cloud ONLY, and delete them locally. So far it seems that both Google Drive and Dropbox do not allow this, as when you delete the files locally they disappear from the cloud. Is there a way to use any of the cloud storage services as a repository where I can then delete those files from my computer but still have the files available to me in the cloud for download?

Thanks!

2. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

I have no idea what you're referring to. I have plenty of files on Dropbox that I don't have locally.

3. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

How do you do that while using the app? I know if I upload it to the webapp it wont be syncing anywhere, but how do I prevent files deleted from my Dropbox folder on my Mac from disappearing in the cloud?

4. jahala macrumors regular

Go to the advanced preferences of Dropbox and configure the selective sync settings.

5. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Just click on the Dropbox app, go to preferences, go to advanced, then to selective sync (change settings) and pick which folders you don't want synced (aka saved locally) :)

6. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think Amazon is going to suit my purposes here. It's just simple upload to what's basically a cloud hard drive, and it has unlimited music space so I can have all 90 gigs of my ripped stuff there.