Trying to Figure out this setup (Backups)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macinstache, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Macinstache macrumors member

I've got a MyPassport WD 1TB that I've been using with Time Machine (TM) to store all my backups. On this Passport I also have 100s of GB of Videos.

I just got a MyCloud WD 2TB. The goal is to use the Cloud as a wireless option to have my iTunes Library Home Share to my Apple TVs without having to keep the Passport plugged in.

Right now I have Passport plugged in to the USB in the Cloud. All Videos are accessible and work great. What I'm looking to do now is get my backups situated.

What I would love is the Videos to stay on the Passport and Cloud to backup the Passport Videos and my Mac Pro. Im having a hard time here because I can't figure out if its possible to have Time Machine target the Mac and the Passport that is plugged in to it.

Any suggestions?

2. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

I think the answer to your question is "yes", assuming that the Passport is mounted on your MacBook Pro so that you can access its contents. I've spent some time faffing around with my own backup strategy, which by itself may be flawed, but it does involve Time Machine backing up both my internal SSD and an external USB 3 drive to another USD 2 drive. If I recall correctly, when Time Machine is setup it will initially default to excluding external drives from the backup in the Options, but if you remove the exclusion (in your case, the Passport) then it should backup to your WD Cloud OK. Certainly Time Machine seems very happy backing up both of my primary drives to the secondary one.

Once you have this setup then what you'll want to do is check to make sure that the Time Machine backup does indeed include the files you expect. I suspect that you can do this via the Time Machine GUI but I'm happier just exploring the contents of the latest backup via the Finder.