Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Okay so in older MacOS system preferences (now System Settings) there was a section where you could determine when the Mac would go to sleep or when the screen saver would come on and such. Now I cannot find it in the new layout. Right now when inactive my screen will go dark before the screen saver will come on. How can I change that?

Also in FireFox I don't get the text correction feature like I seem to get anywhere else on my Mac. Why is that?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Okay so in older MacOS system preferences (now System Settings) there was a section where you could determine when the Mac would go to sleep or when the screen saver would come on and such. Now I cannot find it in the new layout.
In Settings app, at the very top of the panel listing on the left is a search field. Type “screensaver” or “sleep” or what you are looking for.

Apathist

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2024
Also in FireFox I don't get the text correction feature like I seem to get anywhere else on my Mac. Why is that?
FWIW, assuming it's enabled (in the app itself under "Language" in Settings --> General), I think it's invoked only in free text input areas, not in places like single-line boxes on fill-in-the-blank forms, etc.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012

From System Settings UI it may appear that the "text correction" feature is some kind of a system-wide functionality. It's not so. This feature (as well as some other similar text-related options) are only available in some random apps (whose list is unknown and unpredictable) - so you basically can't rely on this feature for any kind of consistent results system-wide.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I preferred the old style System Settings with the modular layout. Whilst the search within works well, it does require still to know the correct keywords. Again, it works but I do find it less transparent.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I preferred the old style System Settings with the modular layout. Whilst the search within works well, it does require still to know the correct keywords. Again, it works but I do find it less transparent.

Agreed. I did end up finding what I was looking for. But I have another question. So I know that when I unplug my MBP the screen will dim a bit. That's fine. But I find that when I wake it from sleep on battery the screen is maybe half brightness and I have to turn it up. Is there a way to stop that so it's always at the brightness level I want?

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Agreed. I did end up finding what I was looking for. But I have another question. So I know that when I unplug my MBP the screen will dim a bit. That's fine. But I find that when I wake it from sleep on battery the screen is maybe half brightness and I have to turn it up. Is there a way to stop that so it's always at the brightness level I want?
You can turn off "automatically adjust brightness" under the display brightness heading if you just want to set it manually each time , based on needs and available light. Hopefully that's what you meant?

Apathist

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2024
I did end up finding what I was looking for.
The System Settings would maybe benefit from a bookmarking feature allowing you to return directly to previously located settings that you'll likely want to revisit. (I use some AppleScript-based shortcuts to do this, but they're not completely reliable.)

So I know that when I unplug my MBP the screen will dim a bit. That's fine. But I find that when I wake it from sleep on battery the screen is maybe half brightness and I have to turn it up. Is there a way to stop that so it's always at the brightness level I want?
You might try experimenting with the combination of the "Low Power Mode" setting and the "Slightly dim the display on battery" option (both found under Battery).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.