trying to find the perfect mac laptop for me...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by krossfyter, Aug 8, 2007.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

im trying to decide between a basic macbook (not pro) and just a powerbook on craigslist.

why should i go with the newer macs (mac books) as oppose to the outdated models?

i do freelance graphic design on the side. i dont need much power. just something to run photoshop, dreamweaver with ease and the occasional use of garage band.

im a grad visual art student who does freelance graphic art on the side ... not a video or gaming person AT ALL.

im looking at this....

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sys/391518920.html

and this...

the the Refurbished MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White model

trying to decide. what sayeth you all?

should i just get a new mac? what kind of things will i be missing out on if i go with an older outdated model?

anything above is better then what i used to have which was the old school tibook 667 (2001).

2. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

its really about should i go old (lot newer then the one i had) used or new new... macbook etc.

old processor vs new processor.

i wouldnt mind plopping down 600 on a used old model so as long as it will do the job for me for 3-4yrs. but if i have to pay 400 more for a newer model so that i wouldnt be left isolated then im cool with that.

i need help trying to decide.

thnx.

3. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

new

I'd go with the new... intel processors are more future proof and as you do freelance work for people and such it might be good at some point to be able to run windows to use a specific program or test compatibility to clients who may only have a specific windows based app. Also... I had a 800 tibook and upgraded to the macbook pro. While the powerbook would be a step up in the processor department, it wouldn't really be that much of a step up for the next few years.

HOWEVER the macbook's smaller screen may be annoying.

Honestly if I were you I'd try to find a CD macbook pro 1.83 or 2.0. You can find those for 900 or 1000. Probably be something decent in the marketplace at some point or maybe ebay (make sure to be extra careful about the seller etc though)

The screen size would be good and more what you are used to, it would be a huge step over your current computer, while not being a temendous expense or overly powered for your needs. I love my CD2.0. It runs photoshop and dreamweaver like a dream and the screen size is nice, and I love the matte option which you are more used to working on with the tibook. It made my transition from my old tibook really flawless.

If you have an external and won't mind the smaller screen size and glossy screen then get the macbook, just my two cents :)

the G4 alumnums are nice, but I don't think it's really worth it as it won't be quite as future proof as a intel based mac.

Goodluck with your search!

P.S. I got 550 for my 800mhz tibook with 1 gig of ram half a year ago. It was in really good cosmetic condition, but those things are really loved, you should be able to get a decent chunk of change for yours if it's in good condition :)

4. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

maybe this will help you.

the powerbook is a 17" but has the same 1.67ghz G4 in it.

for what you want to do, it looks like the macbook is smoking the hell out of the old PB's. plus, with the switch to intel, you're much more future-proof.

5. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

very very VERY helpful the both of you. thnx so much for that. wow.

so...i really dont care for this whole gaming thing. i just use photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, internet and sometimes gargeband.

i dont watch movies or need any of this 3d animation jazzy.... so i guess a reg macbook would do me well.

man its hard finding those 1st generation macbooks anywhere other then ebay going for 800. that would be perfect.

6. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

the apple refurb store usually has the original CD (not C2D) refurbs every now and again. i cant recall exactly how much they go for, but its a lot safer than buying from ebay (condition, returns, applecare for a year starting now, etc). check it periodically and see if one pops up.

7. macjay macrumors 6502

8. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thnx to all. i just purchased a refurbished macbook thru apple.

i felt at ease about my purchase b/c of everyones help.