Trying to format a custom template

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tawcat, Mar 28, 2012.

1. tawcat macrumors regular

I am putting together a reference notebook for volunteers at our local zoo.

I am attempting to format every info sheet the same. Each page will include a photo of the featured creature along with text including description, feeding habits, range etc.

The only program I have to publish with is Pages. I've tried to put in a "photo box" so that each photo is the same size and in the same location on the page etc. I just can't seem to find all the tools I need to do this.

I'd appreciate some guidance. Thanks so much.

2. elmo151 Guest

try keynote.

easy to put a pic on a page and text to your herts desire

3. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Have you "Saved As Template"? That'll help.

Post your question over at the Apple website community support forums. We have a lot more fun over here at MacRumours.... but for serious questions I head over to the Apple forums. There is a forum just for Pages. Someone there will help you out.

Luck.

5. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

snberk103 - the problem is formatting the page to save the template. Pages is not an easy program to create with, well I haven't found it to be.

I tried creating a template that would have a locked photo box and locked text area, but seems I am must not be something right.

I'll go over to Apple and post there. Thanks.

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

Admittedly - and especially if you have come from a different application - Pages can have its challenges. Though, I tend to like using it.

If I get some time I will try some things out, but it's a busy couple of days.

However, another suggestion is to modify an existing Pages template. Which is what I generally do. I find one that is close and then change the colours and placement of the objects. I hadn't thought of it before... but in this way my new/old template is inheriting the attributes that made it easy to work with in the 1st place.

Also... there are a couple of sites that offer free Pages (iWork) templates. Just google to find them. There are some good alternative templates available.

7. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

Well I just tried again to create a template using format, media placeholder and it didn't work. Ugh!!! I'm still trying, thanks.

8. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

Well I know this reply/update is tardy, I apologize. Got caught up with life!!!!

I am happy to announce that I finally figured the process of creating that template. Trial and error proved to prevail.

Thank you to everyone that gave input, again this forum rocks!!!