Trying to free up some HD space...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by asaad, May 16, 2010.

1. asaad macrumors member

I just installed a Snow Leopard on my Macbook, it initially freed up 8gb's of space that number however has shrunk over the past day or so by about 4gb. Any ideas as to why that is?

Also I'm using Omni Disk Sweeper to get rid of some stuff and I have a folder containing 7.6gb, the folder is titled "back up" and located in library>application support>mobilesync. Anyone familiar with this? I'm not quite sure if they're back ups from my blackberry, iPod, or iPad.

Thanks.

2. nicksmac macrumors newbie

what you can do is delete som music that you dont listen to anymore, you can delete demos and any videos you dont watch or use. but for the disappearing hard drive space i know its slim but you might have a virus of some sort. i mean you could go to google a download a virus protection program just to make sure

3. gr3chan macrumors newbie

gr3chan

The folder ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ is the default backup location that iTunes uses for all your mobile devices. That is most likely the culprit of the vanishing HD space. Ctrl click on that folder and go to get info to check the size of the folder. In the meantime, a good application that use to look at used HD space is Disk Inventory X (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22694) That program gives you a graphical view of all the contents of your HD and the path in which you can access them. Try to free up of the larger unused blocks.