Trying to get Bootcamp 3 on x64 vista on 24in iMac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pathumx, Dec 22, 2009.

1. pathumx macrumors member

I'm trying to upgrade to the latest version of bootcamp on my x64 install of vista. officially my iMac isn't supposed to run x64 but i got it on there thanks to guides and drivers online. so when i'm trying to update to the latest version of bootcamp using my Snow Leopard disc, it says the machine is unsupported and won't let me update the bootcamp. is there a way around this?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If your iMac isn't going to support X64 then there's no way around the issue. It doesn't matter if you were able to find the drivers online or not, your CPU cannot run the 64bit code for what ever reason.

Do you have > 4gig of ram? There's little reason to run x64,especially if you only have 4 (or less) gig of ram. I have a capable MBP but I opted for the 32bit version since I'm only gaining access to a little more ram. More over when I did try the 64bit flavor, I failed to see any major performance gains in the OS or the programs I use. Don't get too hung up on the 64bit vs. 32bit issue. The 32bit more then capable for the majority of users and you'll have less headaches with drivers as well.

Just my $.02

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This is a non-issue. Every Mac with the exception of the first generation Intel MacBook/iMac/mini (with the Yonah Core Solo/Core Duo processors) has the CPU to run a 64 bit OS. Apple has for some reason chosen to "support" 64 bit Windows on a subset of the 64 bit compatible CPU Macs via Boot Camp.

There are some real issues with the EFI in some 64 bit capable Macs and Windows 7, but these are easily worked around.

That said, I agree with you. Unless you have a compelling reason to run 64 bit, i.e. an app that requires it or you have more than 4 GB of RAM, just run 32 bit you won't notice the difference. I have 64 bit on my MBP for some engineering apps and went 32 bit on my MB so that I could do the in-place upgrade from Vista.

B

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

This worked great for me on an early C2D Macbook with Windows 7 x64. I have also read many other positive responses for other unsupported x64 Macs and with *shudder* Vista.

5. pathumx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll try these in just a second. i'm rebooting in to vista now.

I have 4GB of RAM, which is why i decided to go with 64 bit

6. pathumx thread starter macrumors member

it worked! Thanks!