Trying to get bootcamp for windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kubalay, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Kubalay macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a MacBook pro the $2500 one.

Please give me a guide on how to get bootcamp to work.

I have the windows 8.exe that I downloaded from the windows site, please give me an indepth, easy guide on how to do it.

My macbook has no cd rom or whatever, so yeah please help.

I bought it from the windows website.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. Kubalay thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked at this, I already have bootcamp I'm pretty sure, it came with mine.

I just don't know how to do it..

Like, I can't find an iso or anything to download, just the .exe

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you read the manual?

5. Kubalay thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I saw this, but I have windows 8, and I can't find the .iso I only have the windows 8.exe

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Also, I believe you need the windows ISO disk image, perhaps a PC is needed to expand the exe into a full disk image. Did you have an opportunity to download the image file instead of the exe?

Edit: The exe may be just a download manager, check the MS online store where you bought it for the iso disk image.

7. Kubalay thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

I can't seem to find the .ISO download.

I hope I don't have to torrent it or something.

8. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I think the version you purchase from the MS store is designed to be used on a computer that has Windows already, hence why the download is in .exe, rather than ISO format. The OP should have purchased a physical copy of Windows from a reseller rather than MS directly.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I think you have an update file you absolutely need an ISO of windows 8 to install via bootcamp

10. Quackers macrumors 6502a

The Windows setup.exe has to run on a Windows system. It will download the files necessary for installing Windows. At the end of the download you are given the option of creating install media - select that one then choose to create an iso image.

That iso file can then be put on a USB (by Bootcamp, along with the necessary Support drivers).

BUT, be careful!
    If you want a 64 bit version of Windows you MUST run the setup.exe on a 64 bit Windows machine.
    If you run it on a 32 bit machine you will get a 32 bit version of Windows 8, which on later Apple hardware is probably no good.