Trying to get confirmation on school loan defeerment

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I will be going to grad school full time this fall. Will I be able to have my loans defeered while in grad school? I have read yes but trying to gather as many sources as possible

Thanks

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Should still be able to qualify for the "In-School Deferment" when in graduate school.

Might have to jump through a couple more hoops than if you have started paying back the loans and are going back to school.

Shouldn't be too hard to requalify for a deferment. All depends on how busy the fed or private loan offices handling your loans are.

NeoMac

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Yes, it should be an automatic thing. When I was in grad school my undergraduate loans were in deferment and I didn't have to do anything. I remember asking the same question and was told by my school's financial aid department that I didn't have to do anything as long as I was enrolled in classes.

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Yes, it should be an automatic thing. When I was in grad school my undergraduate loans were in deferment and I didn't have to do anything. I remember asking the same question and was told by my school's financial aid department that I didn't have to do anything as long as I was enrolled in classes.
Automatic as in I do not have to do anything and it just happens?

If not, do I talk to my school or the loan website?

Also, if while under defeerment, will I be able to
1) Make payments if I want to
2) Make payments of any amt I can afford, even if less than the monthly payments I have now?

Thanks for all the info so far:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.