Trying to get Galaxy Nexus to work in 4G iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kidnice15, Mar 25, 2012.

1. kidnice15 macrumors member

As the title says. I am trying to get my unlimited data from my verizon account to work in my 4G iPad. I have read some past threads how people were success full at doing this but for some reason I can't get it to work. Is there something special that has to be done. I tried everything that has been mentioned so far but still nothing.

I also put my sim back in my galaxy nexus and it shows 4G but for some reason when it the iPad it says 3G and doesn't even try to get into LTE. any help would be appreciated

2. WILLDOGS macrumors regular

Just root your phone and wirelessly tether your iPad to your phone. I do this with my Verizon thunderbolt all day long. It's a lot easier than pulling sim cards each time

3. kidnice15 thread starter macrumors member

only problem with the nexus is that the radio's are horrible. In my house with my thunderbolt I get 4G, but when I used the nexus I only get 3G. The nexus is known for having reception issues

4. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Once you put the sim in the iPad, did you go into cellular data and tap on view account?

5. Fall3n13 macrumors newbie

All i do is pop the sim in and enter in and out of airplane mode a couple times and it connects just fine.

6. kidnice15 thread starter macrumors member

Yup. and when I do that it says that this sim card is active on another device.

7. jman240 macrumors 6502a

You're holding it wrong... Sorry I couldn't resist.

Actually, have you tried messing with the APN settings. Maybe try what they're talking about here. http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...y-Nexus-micoSIM-in-new-Verizon-iPAD-LTE/page2

Change APN and toggle LTE off/on.

8. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

This worked for me.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14535031&postcount=4

Specifically:

edit: got it working. Put your verizon LTE sim in, goto settings / general / reset
    / subscriber services

Reprovision, then reset account (it will bring you to the red silder to turn off), turn off ipad, back on. Wait a bit and then LTE should appear

9. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

just root your phone and put the tether fix.

Easy Peasy.

10. kidnice15 thread starter macrumors member

When I try that I don't get a red slider to turn off the iPad :(

11. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Did you try turning the iPad off and back on after those procedures? It worked for me.

12. kidnice15 thread starter macrumors member

still stuck in 3G. This is so frustrating. Feel like I should have kept my WiFi version.

13. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Do you have LTE in your area?

14. kidnice15 thread starter macrumors member

yup my phone is always on 4G, but as soon as I put my sim in the iPad it stays in 3G.

15. aneftp macrumors 68040

The other option is to go into apple store or find a friend who has Verizon LTE iPad and put your Verizon LTE sim in there and see if those iPads work.

If they work and yours doesn't work take it back

16. kidnice15 thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking about doing that. I still have about 27 days to exchange or return my iPad. Might just do that. As I am typing in my nexus I have 3 bars of 4G

17. Polymira macrumors regular

You can currently flash the radios from Android 4.0.4, you can find those on the XDA forums, and this makes a world of difference with reception in LTE areas. While you're at it, most of the popular roms (I use AOKP) also allow you to use the built in Android tethering feature without a tethering plan. I use this a few times a month, have never run into issues.

18. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

^^^ What he said. I bought the mega iPad - 64, Lte, verizon. Haven't even bought an LTE sim because with 2 clicks on my Gnex (wake up phone, swipe down on lock screen, turn on tethering) I can enable tethering on my Gnex. Not only that, but I did a test leaving it on all the time and it shortens my battery by about 30 mins (not using tethering, just having it on).

FWIW, have not tried swapping the SIM but happy to test.

19. tasset macrumors 6502a

Have you tried doing the opposite, using an iPad LTE data plan sim and put it in a Galaxy Nexus (or other LTE Verizon phone?) I would like to do this for data only, and use Google Voice and something like GrooveIP or Skype.

20. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

21. Polymira macrumors regular

The new radios will be pushed OTA within the next month hopefully as well. However the free tethering aspects of a lot of the current roms out there is worth it on it's own.

22. kidnice15 thread starter macrumors member

yea i have been tethering with my gnex for now just because i can't get it to work. seems i should just stick to that. it does get a little annoying swapping sims. I am going to try again tonight but if nothing then i will be exhanging this ipad for a 64GB ipad intead and still get some money back :