Trying To Get Leopard Back on Original HD... SuperDuper?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, May 24, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm planning of sending in my white macbook to AppleCare for a few repairs regarding the white casing (cracks) but do not want to send in my Western Digital 500GB Hard Drive.

I called AppleCare and they said they prefer it when you send in the original hard drive, for whatever reason they stated. My personal reason why I don't want to send in my 500GB Hard Drive is that I have a ton of files in there that are important and don't have another 300+ hard drive lying around to back everything up. Another reason is that my Leopard Family Pack disc I purchase years ago is at my parent's house in New York and I live in California, so getting it would be a huge hassle considering it's somewhere in boxes of storage and my folks are in Venice till the 15th of June.

Look, essentially what I'm freaking out over is that I've heard many cases that when you send in your computer to applecare, its not uncommon to get a macbook back with an erased hard drive.

I just don't wanna deal with the hassle. So am looking to avoid it altogether. Doing so bytaking out my 500GB HD and popping in the original 80GB HD that the Mac came with. I thought I had Leopard in there but when I put in the 80GB HD in the Macbook and turned on the Mac, a confused faced folder came on and turned off.

I want to send in my Macbook with the 80GB HD and that HD to have Leopard on it...so I decided to do the same method I used when I transferred everything from my 80GB HD to my 500GB HD when I first purchased it.

I used SuperDuper! application, free version...but it didn't work.

I set it up to "Copy: Mac HD to Untitled" (Untitled was the name of the 80GB since I erased it when I got my 500GB HD hoping to use it for Time Machine but never did)

I tried this twice, each time taking about 2 hours to transfer and copy to the untitled HD. I tried "back up all files" & "back up user files." But after this process was done and I popped in the untitled HD into the Mac I continued to get the same confused folder face..twice.

Any help on the matter is really appreciated as I'm highly considering not even sending my Macbook in with the 500GB HD to completely avoid any possible frustation if that HD was to magically erased.

2. MacRUK macrumors newbie

Why bother installing anything on the 80gb ?

Apple will probably re-install anyway.

3. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i wouldn't bother, just send the 80gb drive empty. no harm.

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Re-Install? Apple? What do you mean? I thought they tested it out and when they see that that confused folder face won't they wonder what's up?

Didn't really think this was an option, but interestingly enough i'll highly consider this. :]

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Your problem was you were trying to copy a 500GB hd onto an 80GB one... just send it with the 80gb blank. If it's to fix casing stuff, they won't care.

6. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm definately gonna send it in with the 80GB HD now whether or now it contains anything in it. I just always assumed they tested to see if the computer work everytime no matter what the repair. At least that was the explanation an Mac Genius gave me when I asked why I had to sign under the Apple not being liable is sensitive information is ever lost during the hands of AppleCare..

But Aaron, you definately struck a thought when you mentioned that problem was trying to copy 500GB HD into an 80GB HD. This makes all the sense in the world, now thinking it was simple to copy everything from my 80GB HD to my 500GB HD when I first purchased it...

...which leads me to the question: How can I copy only the important stuff in the 500GB HD into the 80GB HD? Essentially just whatever needs to be in there to be able to start up; i'm not focused on the applications, music, files, etc...it would just be there...to just have. As opposed to still having one but blank; you know, you just never know.

7. cube macrumors G5

Just install Leopard from the DVD onto the small disk.

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

OP stated they don't have access to the disk currently.

9. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

im starting to get the felling SuperDuper won't help me out in this situation.

10. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Is your system+user data larger than 80GB? If so, then as an earlier poster said, you're running out of hard drive space and the whole copy operation fails. Here's what to do:

1) Create a 'dummy' user on your 500GB drive via System Prefs-->Accounts. To be safe, make sure it's an Admin.

2) Create a custom backup script in SuperDuper. The easiest way to do it is to make sure the 'Backup - All Files' script is selected, then go to Edit Script... then under the Script Commands tab, navigate to your normal user folder (the one probably using up all the hard drive space), click Add Item, and make sure the command is set to 'ignore'. This script should transfer over the entire system except your normal user account, which should be under 80 GB (assuming you didn't add a ton of data to the root level folders of the drive). The dummy account can then be used to boot on the 80GB drive, so everything appears normal to the Apple techs.

Hope this helps!