trying to get mac to play on older tube tv

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gravybird, Feb 20, 2010.

1. gravybird macrumors newbie

my main question is can I use a blue ray player to pipe in my imac to my tube tv? the tv only has an s-video, regular rca's,and the red blue green jacks. we are interested in instant netflix, hulu, and also movies in the imac to the tv.

2. RealaT macrumors regular

I don't understand what the blu-ray player has to do with connecting your iMac to your TV??

3. gravybird thread starter macrumors newbie

oh ya

so I have asked apple and the local computer shop, and they say that I cant directly connect my imac to my tv with the connections it has. they say that I will have to use two different adapters and its only a 50% chance of working correctly. so thats why I was wondering if I bought a new blue ray player, that it might have the right connections to connect the imac to it and then watch imac stuff on our tv.

4. RealaT macrumors regular

A blu-ray player won't let you pass through a signal from another device like a VCR can.

I have seen s-video adapters for Apple computers (in fact I own one somewhere in this house) but since you haven't told us which iMac you have I can't check to see if one exists for your particular model.

5. gravybird thread starter macrumors newbie

oh ya again

its a new 27" imac with osx 10.6.2

6. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

a 27 inch screen isn't enough? It'll certainly look a lot better than some horrible conversion.

7. gravybird thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree, the 27 has a beautiful display, but I have two kids and it would be really convenient to give them some hulu on the tv while I use the computer for computing hahaha.

8. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

You know you could buy various set-top boxes that can stream netflix.

Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 also stream netflix.