trying to get my macbook to see the firewire external drive in windows xp!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by itsjustmeee, Mar 16, 2010.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

I have a macbook with parallels and windows XP pro installed. I just bought a new 500 gig Iomega Go external firewire drive and if I use bootcamp and plug the drive in, windows does not recognize it. I know it has something to do with the 1394 connection in "network connections" and I've tried disabling it and rebooting and enabling it (as suggested on one website), but that didn't work. Does anyone here boot into windows XP and uses their firewire drive??

How did you get windows to see it??!!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Firewire can be used to network computers, but if you use an HDD, the network connection doesn't matter.

Have you taken a look at (the following might be a bit inaccurate, as I haven't used it in months and years) Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management?

Btw, what format is the HDD formatted with? HFS+ (Mac OS Extended), FAT32 (MS-DOS) or NTFS?

3. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

It came formatted with Mac OS Extended, but since I plan on using it mostly with bootcamp and windows, I reformatted it to fat 32. I'll take a look at the disk management under the control panel and see if I can go from there .... man, I sure am glad I live mostly in a Mac World!

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You may want to actually do the formatting in Mac OS X's Disk Utility. You need to make sure the partition scheme is Master Boot Record. A GUID/APM will not mount on the Windows side to my understanding.