Trying to Get Owner Permissions, but I have a Problem.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adyork, Dec 5, 2008.

1. adyork macrumors newbie

So let me preface this post by saying that I just bought my first Mac a month ago, and have since completely ignored my girlfriend for this new lover. I bought a MBA Rev A, used with a ton of software still loaded on it. The problem is, the guy I bought it from was a Korean exchange student, and set the comp with Korean as the native language. I did a password reset to get the language change, then set myself up as an Admin account. The problem I have here is that the software loaded on this laptop is awesome, but I can't update any of it because I don't have owner permissions. I understand the only way to get owner permissions is to do an Erase and Install of Leopard, but if I do that, then I lose all the software.

This laptop came loaded with Adobe CS3, Parallels, Office for Mac, Toast 9 Titanium, and I think there might be another program. My question here is, is there any way to gain access to these programs, by using a copying software to make disk images of them, or by simplying copying down all of the Product Keys, and reinstalling the programs from a hard disk.

Any help that can be provided in the simplest of terms would be most helpful. I am completely new to the Mac world, and only lightly experienced in the general world of technology. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If he didn't give you the original disks, then sorry, you don't own a license to operate that software. Nothing you can do but actually buy the software.

jW

3. adyork thread starter macrumors newbie

Not to keep hashing over the same problem, but I thought that the license and the product key number were the same thing, and that the only thing necessary to use the software is to agree to the end user/license agreement, then before using said software, simply put the product registration keys in the computer. If this is an incorrect assumption, please help me correct my ignorance.

4. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

You need a copy of the software not just somebody else's licence number.

5. adyork thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, I understand that, but if I have the disc, and a product key, I should have no problem right?

6. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

No problem.

7. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

If you have the original CDs and the product keys, you should just do a fresh install of Leopard.