Trying to get paid...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mooseface, Aug 9, 2010.

1. mooseface macrumors member

I did an editing job recently and I think the 'director' is trying to stiff me on payment. It was only an amateur editing job but cash is cash. He left a external HDD with the rushes on with me which is currently at my old flat, which I have moved out of (left the HDD with friends there). Am I within my rights to withhold this as collateral? I don't think he's going to come through so I might as well get something out of it.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer) but I'm going to guess and say you do not have the legal right to keep his property (I'm assuming he bought the HDD and did he shoot the footage that is on the HDD).

The time to say "hey, where's my money" is before you hand over the finished project to him.

Lethal

3. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Hmmm... One tactic I have seen recommended over at CreativeCow time and time again is to get a hold of the offenders home phone number, and call with the intention of getting ahold of the offenders spouse. Explain the situation "Hey, I was looking for "Offender X" but now that I have you on the line, can you please relay a message to Offender? He is remiss in his payment by ___ days, and would appreciate it if you could relay the message"

Happy spouse = happy home.

But I'm sorry, that is a hard situation.... :(

4. pprior macrumors 65816

I'm also not a lawyer, (but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night...).

You can't take someone's property as collateral unless it's in an contract.

If you gave the final product before being paid, well then you screwed up. count it as a lesson learned.

Unless you're dealing with corporate America (and even then consider otherwise!) always have payment in hand (and check cleared the bank!) before releasing final product.

Of course maybe you're still working on the final final edit and need the hard drive for that??? After all you haven't been paid, so he must not feel the final copy is acceptable? Once he agrees that the edit is satisfactory, then collect your payment in cash in one hand and give the drive in the other.

5. mooseface thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the input. He has finaled the edit, but has a low rez, watermarked version, which he can't really do anything with. I waiting for payment before sending him the final high rez version on CD.

He may not be trying to do me over though. I had a text saying he's chasing the artist for payment, and if he doesn't get it before the end of the week, he will pay me himself. I'll let you know how it goes!

6. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Seems like you're good to go if that's the case. There's not much you can do other than that (other than getting a deposit up front so that you're not completely screwed).

7. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

You should have asked for a downpayment. The rest of the money is usually never paid on delivery anyway, more like a few weeks later.

8. mooseface thread starter macrumors member

I would have but seeing as I'm still a student I didn't really want to push my luck. As I said in my previous post it seems as though he might actually pay me, so I will let you know. I'll also post the video so I can get some creative criticism on that too, always helpful. Thanks guys!

9. mooseface thread starter macrumors member

Here's the video. Any creative criticism about the editing would be great.

10. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

I'm not an editor, and I had to watch it with the sound down - I'm in work - but that looks incredibly impressive, from a laypersons point of view. And it'll mainly be people like me watching it, I'd imagine.

I realise my opinion doesn't count for much, but there you go. Good luck getting paid!

11. mooseface thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much. Good to know I'm on the right lines!

12. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

13. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Edit was good, video was just meh.

Do you know what they shot it with?

14. sprtnbsblplya macrumors regular

Is this an advertisement created for the up and coming new age line of advertisements for Dairy Queen?

I jest, looks good to someone who doesn't know much about video. Just thought the rappers' name was funny. Hope you get paid.

15. mooseface thread starter macrumors member

Finally! Although not all of it, 80% paid with a promise of extra on the next project, I'm not holding my breath...

Thanks. It would have helped if they had shot more footage, different locations etc. and actually had some of the shots in focus/without ***** on the lense.

I don't know I'm afraid. It was 1920x1080 footage that I was given but a lot of it had a lot of noise so degraded the look a little.

16. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Next time!?

DUDE!
    Please don't!
    There is no "next time"
    This guy screws you once for 20%, chances are he'll do it again.
    take my word for it. I had to do this about 6 times before I learned my lesson.
    this client has no respect for you or what you do. :mad:

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I probably would've kept that part to myself. ;)

Lethal

18. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

No Shame Lethal

Hey, I have no shame in sayin' that.
    The client sucked me in because they were a big shot in town and I wanted to ride on those coat tails, but I guess they got big by being cheap.

19. DrRock macrumors regular

^

I have a friend who mixed audio for a project, and he went $1200 out of pocket to rent the gear. He had all of the DATs at one point, and surrendered them to the producers without being paid or even reimbursed. He still kicks himself over that incident.

You need to work up a simple contract for future projects to CYA. Just draw something up stating that you require a down payment to cover your expenses & time, and do not work past the time that the down payment covers. Stipulate that you will not hand over any work until you are paid for the time you put in. If your client is ethical, they'll agree. If not, don't waste your time.

So many movies end up never being finished (as was the case in my friend's situation) and nobody gets paid. There are too many d-bags in this industry and you can't take anything for granted.

20. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

can u pm or post on her ethis contract?

handy as my main client doesnt like contracts, but still pays lol