trying to get school email address into Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mike789, Aug 13, 2008.

1. mike789 macrumors member

I'm trying to get my school email address into the mail program. does anyone know what i should fill in for the incoming and outgoing mail servers? I think I have to fill in part of my email address but isn't there a ".smtp" or something that i have to type before or after it? also, is there any other info i have to get in order to to put my email on my ipod touch?

Thanks.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

why not ask your school what their incoming and outgoing mail servers are?

3. mike789 thread starter macrumors member

lol. it didn't work. i found the site that gave the information but Mail couldn't set up the outgoing mail server. It said something like "...couldn't be found." I thought there might be a generic start or ending like "SMTP.university.edu" that is why I asked the forum. I guess I can contact IT department but until then does anyone have any advice?

thanks

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There's no way for us to know for sure. smtp.whatever is common, but there are many other permutations. Contact the IT department is probably best.

jW

5. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Luckily my school had step-by-step instructions on how to set up with mail, outlook etc. Best is to e-mail them directly and ask for the information.