Trying to get started but confused

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jbosing, Nov 5, 2007.

1. jbosing macrumors newbie

I want to get started in HDV, but so far everything I've read here and elsewhere has me confused. Right now I have an iMac, G5 1.8 Ghz, 2G Ram. I have an HD TV and a blu-ray player, each almost a year old. I would like to buy a camera in the $1K range that will take good HDV understanding $1K is not professional level. I want to be able to edit on my imac. I want to be able to burn both HD DVDs and SD DVDs that I can play on my player (HD) and give to family members (SD).

I do not want to buy all sorts of conversion software.

Is there a camera that would work particularly well with what I already have?

The new imovie says it requires a 1.9 Ghz processor. Will a 1.8 work? Is there other editing software that would work well on my imac?

Will idvd burn both HD and SD DVDs? There seem to be a million compatibility issues floating around in the HD camcorder world.

Any advice?

Thanks

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Canon HV20

Not sure.

iDVD is SD-only as is your iMacs burner. I assume you can buy a FW blu-ray burner, and Toast supports burning Blu-ray, but you won't have the nice menus and such that you can make in iDVD.

Lethal

3. jbosing thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Lethal

Sounds like I just need to find editing software compatible with my imac.

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

An iMac of that speed will struggle with HD material even if it does *work*. If I were you, I'd skip iMovie and grab Final Cut Express. It is much less cookie cutter than iMovie, but it'll run on just about anything and it supports HD.

5. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

I second that

The canon HV20 is the camera to beat in that price range. However, they just came out w/the HG10 which is tapeless - I think it has a 40g storage capability.

6. VideOD macrumors newbie

HG10 or HV20?

Are you able to import the video with iMovie 6 at full quality with both of those models?