trying to get to my printer not directly on my tower's network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jkaz, Dec 10, 2008.

1. jkaz macrumors 6502

Hi,

I've got the internet coming in through cable, into a switch.

From the switch the internet goes directly to the tower i am typing on and into an airport express.

the airport express is for my iMac to wirelessly connect to the internet.

Connected to the airport express is my printer.

My iMac can print, my tower cannot.

I believe this to be due to the fact that my tower is simply not connected to the airport express and is simply not on the same network.

I don't have wireless for my tower.

I am hoping to be able to travel from my tower, into my switch, out to my airport and gain access to my printer.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

2. cube macrumors G4

3. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

i checked a good handful of the top results, unfortunately they were all over my head.

thanks for the tip tho!

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

First, I want to make sure I make the point that the CORRECT way to do this is to get a router, connected to the cable modem, that will create a local network with all printers and computers protected (firewall/security) and given access to the internet.
    But if you don't want to do that, you may be able to print by:
    1. knowing the external IP address(WAN) of the A/Express
    2. setting up the A/Express to "port forward" port 9100 to itself (ie, to its local IP address, like 10.0.0.1, or whatever)
    3. Setting up IP printing > HP Jetdirect protocol (on the Mac in question) to the external IP address of the A/Express (HP Jetdirect uses port 9100 to identify the printer port - that's why you need to port forward 9100 to the A/Express).

Hope this helps.