trying to go wireless from wired network. not sure how. (not an it dunce!)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thecritix, Jun 30, 2008.

1. thecritix macrumors 6502

Hi All,
    Am really struggling with network, I'm not stupid computer wise, but I'm not experience with all the network terms!

I'm at uni and in my halls have an ethernet socket which you can plug your computer straight into..

I put it into an airport express to make it wireless.
    I now need an ethernet port to run a wireless USB hub from (it will only connect to router via ethernet)
    So I purchased a router, I don't think the router can take a internet signal via ethernet, I think it only wants to accept internet via ADSL type connection.

Do I need a different router? or is there something else I can do?

Would appreciate any help that can be offered as I'm thoroughly stuck here!

Nick

2. thecritix thread starter macrumors 6502

3. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Here's how to use the Belkin as an ethernet switch and wireless access point -
    Connect the university ethernet to one of the LAN (local area net) ports (don't use the internet port at all). Plug ethernet devices into the other LAN ethernet ports. Use one computer plugged into ethernet to connect to the router's admin web page as shown in the manual. Turn Off DHCP server, and save that setting (or logout correctly to save settings - whatever the manual says). If there is a setting "turn on wireless" you'll need to do that too.
    Now you should be able to connect wirelessly.
    I'm not sure if the ethernet USB hub will work - depending on the university setup, it may have to "login" in order to get an IP address. It doesn't hurt to try it.