Trying to help out mom

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cfII, Aug 15, 2011.

1. cfII macrumors regular

She has a really old 13 mbp I think I has like a 2.0 ghz processor and 2 gigs of ram and a 150gig hard drive! I couldn't believe it. So my questions are as follows.

I have a new mbp see specs below. Can I upgrade her mbp using my 8gigs of 1333mhz ram and then just get myself some 1600? Two birds w one stone would be nice.

I know it's tough to say with out the model year but I'm
    Hoping someone will recognize the specs

Thanks!
    I'll check back later, can someone tell me how to determine the model year of her mbp? I see model years written as 2 numbers
    Like 8,3 what's that?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think you're looking at the same MhZ ram. I think you should go to Crucial.com and plug in your MBP and her MBP and see if it outputs the right ram. I also don't think it'll support 8 gb.

PS, the 13" 2.0 is not so old that it is unbelievable. Some people don't need the power of the new ones and many who have the new ones aren't using the power anyway. ;)

3. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

Wont her comp just de clock it down to specs automatically?

4. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Most likely its the ddr2 667 or ddr2 800 mhz. The 800mhz is compatible to downclock to the 667 but not vice versa.

That macbook is far from be unbelievable in terms of age.

----------

DDR3 is physically different than DDR2. 1333 and 1600 you speak of are DDR3. Not even the newest Macs use 1600 yet.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Only if the other specs match.

What generation is your mom's macbook, we'll be able to tell you which RAM works.

6. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

And old mac won't.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, can you tell us more about your mom's macbook?

8. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

New Mac will run 1600mhz ddr3

How do I find her specs or model?

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

The specs will be list in :apple: -> About This Mac, just like any other mac, they appear on the first screen, what's displayed there is what you need to put in.

Give us the model identifier found under More Info... so that we can tell you how much RAM that particular model can take.

10. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

The 13" MacBook Pro debuted in June 2009, so I doubt she has a really old one.

Not enough information.

11. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

Ok my bad it's a MacBook not a pro and it's a 5,1

12. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

If "really old" means 2009, then yes, you can use your 1333mhz RAM in it. If it isn't actually a MBP (unibody MacBook), you can use up to 6GB of 1066mhz ram.

13. wegster macrumors 6502

Amazing what a quick google turns up, eh?
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-2.0-aluminum-13-late-2008-unibody-specs.html

'macbook5,1 specifications' - first hit
    'really old' in this case implies:
    1. You probably didn't pay for your own computer, or have lots of $ to throw away, maybe no real bills yet?
    2. Ahh, #1's enough, really.

Looks like the 13" Aluminum Macbook, bought sometime end of 2008 into middle of 2009 or slightly later, not exactly 'ancient' by any means. 160GB HD, wireless a/b/g/n (again, not so old), 2GHz Penryn C2D cpu, and also has the glass multi-touch trackpad. RAM: 1066 MHz PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM , unofficially takes up to 8GB, Apple supported 4GB.

Not a bad machine at all, besides not being the more recent i* Core CPUs. If you've got a matching pair of SO-DIMMs, and are better at taking a computer apart and putting it together successfully than your search prowess, I'd give it a shot with a *pair* of matching speed SO-DIMMs. Or...search and see if they'll downclock successfully - we've seen people running higher speed RAM in the current gens, it seems mostly down to the latency numbers vs speed if it works reliably or not. Or you could just buy 4GB for $35 or so:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/8566DDR3S4GP/

14. Skream macrumors member

15. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Good choice - it's one of the best MacBooks ever made. The late 2008 MacBooks are the only ones that don't look like plastic toys. Before and after, you had to go Pro to get alu-casing.