Trying to hold off until the next iPhone release!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by someguy, May 9, 2013.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Here is the short version:

Last October, I started a new job. My previous employer continued to pay for my "company" phone service (Sprint) in exchange for a few hours of help each month from me after-hours, or as needed. This gave me the change to hold off on getting a new contract (I want to go with Verizon) until the next iPhone release, so I was all for it.

Fast forward to today. Old work is cancelling their Sprint contract, and my current iPhone 4S (which I own) will be without service by the end of this month. Old work will continue paying me in cash for as long as I want to continue contributing, but I am soon to be on my own for cellular service.

So here's my problem. I would prefer to continue using my iPhone 4S until the next iPhone release, but I can't figure out a way to do that, since it won't work on any other carrier. If I upgrade in ~2 weeks, I'll be bummed when the next iPhone is released, since I've been waiting since October!

What would you guys do?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you can start sprint service but not start a contract. and when the new phone comes, you can choose to upgrade then.

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Have you spoken to Sprint to see if you can take over billing responsibility for the line? I know AT&T does that.

4. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I.. was not aware of this. I will definitely look into it!

My comment above applies here. :D

Thanks for two great ideas right out of the gate!

5. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I am going to the Sprint store on my lunch break to see about assuming responsibility for the line. If that doesn't work, or if they require me to renew the contract, I will find out about getting service on a monthly basis. :)

Still interesting in hearing other ideas if anyone has any! Thanks again! :D

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

You could ask Sprint to unlock the phone. This will then give you the option to stay with them or go to Verizon right away. Just go with prepaid plan until new iPhone comes out. Then you can start a contract plan with Verizon to get discounted iPhone.

7. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

My understanding was that the iPhone 4S only had the proper hardware to work with Sprint's service. Isn't that one of the appeals of the iPhone 5? That it is more compatible between networks? (I don't know much about all the GSM/CDMA stuff, or even that those acronyms are correct..) :)

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Can you unlock and use on Boost Mobile? Don't they use Sprint's network for service?

9. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I probably could, as a last resort. I've never heard too much good about Boost, but it beats nothing!