Trying to hook 13"MBP to HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noobinator, Jun 27, 2010.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

I have some tv shows downloaded that I'd like to watch on my HDTV. I currently have a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter and a 3.5mm male to male audio cable that I plug into the TV and the headphone jack on my MBP.

1. The audio does not work. Is there a setting somewhere I must enable?

2. Would I be better off buying some other sort of cable?

3. What are my options for displaying my MBP screen on the TV and where do I access these options? When I hook up the adapter it just extends my screen to the TV.

Perhaps I need a MBP to TV guide of some sort. I can get this done easily with my old PC but I"d really like to do it with my MBP.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Which adaptor do you have in terms of brand? Where did you buy it? Only a few mini displayport-HDMI cables/adaptors carry audio.

edit: Sorry, didn't read that the OP is using a separate audio cable. In System Preferences-Sound, select the OUTPUT tab and make sure that the output audio cable you are using is selected.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. Riptide62 macrumors member

Assuming you have a 2010 MBP which supports audio through HDMI (older models do NOT, i believe)...

However, after reading a discussion on the Apple Support Discussion board, I called Apple and they confirmed that there is indeed an issue in the 10.6.4 update that disabled the audio output option through HDMI. The Apple customer service rep said that they were aware of the problem, were working to address it but could not give a time frame for its resolution.

Bottom line, anyone on Snow Leopard 10.6.4 will no longer be able to output audio via HDMI until Apple addresses the problem.

5. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

I plugged it into the side of my Sony Bravia Z series into the port simply labeled "Audio" and it's a black port right below the RGB and above an HDMI port.

I have the generic monoprice Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter that does not work with audio.

And yes, it's a 2010 MBP.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Since there are many Bravia Z series models, could you be more specific?
    Have you taken a look at the manual that came with your TV, as I've never seen a 3.5mm audio input on a TV, mostly RCA (white/black and red) plugs are used.

Does the audio port look like this?

[​IMG]

If so, than this is the wrong port, as it is a female RCA port.

Have you already taken a look at the guide I linked to?

7. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

It's a 40z5100
    The audio port is actually in the "PC In" section and it just says "audio" and I plugged it into there. I may be going about this totally the wrong way. On my other laptop I use the RGB to connect the video and the 3.5mm cable works for the audio. I've looked over the guide but I'm a total noob to this and it seems like I'm going about the audio the wrong way.

I'm looking through my TV manual also to try and find something.

8. slideworks macrumors member

slideworks

option click on the speaker icon and select line out for the audio source.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I haven't had a TV since 2002 or so, so maybe they changed many inputs on those. Maybe the PC IN is the audio in for 3.5mm, but you may have to select it or at least use the adjacent ports for video in.

The manual should clear things up, as they are quite descriptive, at least some of Sony's professional broadcast equipment manuals.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

HDMI cables for video + 3.5mm->RCA cables for audio (if you arent fussy about audio) or mini optical->amp (if you are fussy about audio) and you are set :)

11. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

So I pretty much need to ditch the 3.5 to 3.5 for a 3.5 to RCA cable?

(still reading the manual and will try the option click speaker)

12. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

When I do this the only output option is "headphones". So it thinks I have headphones attached. Must be an option in my TV somewhere.

13. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you don't plug in the video and audio to the same input area, they both won't work at the same time. If you want to use that port for audio, you have to use the same type of video cable that you do with your other computer.

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...no you don't need to ditch it completely, just get a Y adapter with a 3.5 female on one side and the red/white male RCA's on the other side...

15. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Can anyone link me to a mini optical to amp ? I can't find what I'm looking for online.

I'll probably end up getting the Y adapter mentioned above but I'm curious.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats what i did, easy option. :)

sure thing. check this out. will work perfect for you!

17. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

I bought a 3.5 to RCA hooked up the 3.5 to my MBP headphone jack and the RCA audio into my TV. I still cannot get sound. I option click the speaker and the only option under output is headphones. I unmuted it too and still no luck.

Any suggestions?? This is driving me nuts.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i cant speak for Sony, but i know that on my Panasonic TV i must have the RCA plugged into a port that produces the sound from the HDMI port. go to a specific HDMI port and try all possible RCA combinations and see if one works. it SHOULD work *fingers crossed*

19. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

wooohoooo
    It worked! I just had to move my HDMI plug closer to the RCA plugs and it works now. Thanks a lot for your help everyone. :D

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

awsome! glad to hear its working have fun