Trying to hook up DVD/VCR player to MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Beanz!, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Beanz! macrumors newbie

Beanz!

Alright, so I'm a total noob and apologize in advance. I thought I would have some trouble describing what I have, so please check my profile picture for reference.

So I have a movie on this DVD-RW. The disc can only hold 30 min/1.4GB. That's why it's so small. You know how there's that little circular indention on most DVD trays? It fits perfectly in that.

Well obviously choosing such a disc was a terrible idea. I have only found one DVD player that will actually play it, which is my DVD/VCR player. Actually, the original content was on a VHS cassette and I used my DVD/VCR player to dub the content onto this terrible, terrible DVD-RW.

So now I want to get this content onto my MacBook Pro. I can't just slip this tiny DVD-RW into my MacBook Pro. I even tried it. It was dumb/scary. And using the original VHS cassette is not an option. It is outta here! I'm going to need to hook up my DVD/VCR player to my MacBook Pro.

Luckily, this DVD/VCR player is great! It gives me lots of options. It has AV OUT as an option, which I think would be the simplest option. Then there's the COMPONENT/PROGRESSIVE SCAN VIDEO OUT with the green, blue and red female ends. That's for HD right? I don't really care if it's in HD and it sounds more expensive. Then on the right side of that are the red and white female ends for AUDIO OUT, and a black female end for COAXIAL DIGITAL AUDIO OUT. Then on the far left there's an S-VIDEO OUT. And then on the right side, (under the the DVD-RW in the picture) there's what says DIGITAL AUDIO OUT with something that looks a little bit like a phone jack and under it it says OPTICAL. And to the right of that there's an HDMI OUT.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Okay, this is tough because those mini DVD discs aren't going to fit in your MacBook Pro. Basically, you need a means of convertin the signal to Firewire or possibly USB. You're going to have to do one of two things, both of which require money. You could get an analog-to-digital converter box, but that could set you back a couple hundred bucks. You may be able to get an external DVD player that can support those discs, and that could get the video on your computer. Unfortunately though, I don't know of an cables that will convert the signal to Firewire or USB though...