Trying to hook up macbook pro to Tv, Yikes!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joemoney25, Sep 1, 2010.

1. joemoney25 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, new to forums. Hoping you guys can provide more help then the people at the stores have.

My television has the basic red white and yellow plugins, along with a "UHF/VHF" and "To Converter" circular plugins.

What is needed to display my macbook pro on the tv screen, cables and whatnot?

Any help is greatly appreciated ! Thanks

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You are going to need two converters. The first will convert Mini-Display Port to VGA, the second will convert VGA to composite.

The first can be purchased from Apple or Radio Shack. The Second would likely get you the best price at Monoprice.com.

TEG

3. joemoney25 thread starter macrumors newbie

would it be easier/better to connect via the S - Video slot?

4. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

You don't say which model you have. For the last few years they have used mini display ports. Before that they used DVI ports. Once you sort that out then go to monoprice.com and find the connectors you need, as suggested above.

If you have the mini display port then you could go MDP to VGA to Composite. You'll need a separate cable for the audio. One end plugs into the head phone jack on the computer and one end to either the TV or stereo as you wish. Choose the appropriate cable.

If you have one close by you can go to Best Buy or Fry's and get these. That way you can see the cables you need. I got some at BB that were pretty cheap because the bags had been previously opened.

5. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Looks like a new connector is available.

Mini Displayport to HDMI.

KANEX iAdapt® HDMI V2 - Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter w/ Audio Support (MDPHDMIV2)