Trying to hook up My Imac to Apple Cinema 20"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Vitalogy, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Vitalogy macrumors newbie

I got the mini dvi to dvi adapter but the cable is to short i need a cable 10ft or so, but the problem is im hearing all different kind of things to what cable to get.

am i looking for the DVI to DVI Extension cable?

or the DVI-D Male/Female Dual Link Extension cable?

or something totally different?

im confused :confused: if anyone can shed some light on the situation i would be forever greateful.

2. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

why do you need 10ft of cable for dual screens :confused:

lol...anyway, to find out what cable you'll need, check out what the end of the mini-DVI -> DVI is, and check what the receiving end looks like on the ACD. And buy a cable that fits in the gap :cool:

3. Vitalogy thread starter macrumors newbie

Because mini dvi-dvi is to short i need an extension for it to reach the acd. and this is what apple told me to get but like i said im hearing all different kind of things.

and i dont have it the acd yet, i was hoping someone could answer my question so i can order the cable by the time it gets here. ;)

4. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Maybe he wants to have it be no where near his iMac. For instance, it might be for him to show his clients spreadsheets or something, and the ACD is going to be closer to the clients than to him.

Either way, I had the same problem, when I bought the extension to connect it to a DLP HDTV. I just took the Apple adaptor to Altex (not sure if they're everywhere, but some nerdy computer store will work) and they were able to help me find one that had the same connections that I need. I don't know what they're called, and didn't know then, but it worked out.