Trying to install a new Hard Drive, not recognized

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macamacamac, Jul 6, 2009.

1. macamacamac macrumors newbie

I have a first gen white macbook core duo. I am trying to install a new 320GB Seagate HDD in my laptop to replace the 60Gb drive. I installed it but I can't get the OS to recognize the Hard disk when it is installed in the computer. I have no problems when it is installed in an external case. I have booted off the Leopard disk but it does not show a drive available to format, I booted off the original drive in the external case and the disk utilities does not show another drive attached. If I put the 320GB drive in the external enclosure, disk utilities recognizes it right away. I have formatted it with GUID format but it doesn't work when installed directly in the macbook. Can anybody give me some suggestions.

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Format it in the enclosure, then install it as the internal drive?

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

GUID refers to a partition table. Did you format the drive as Mac Extended (Journaled)? How many partitions did you make? Did you name the new drive?

Why don't you clone your old drive to the new drive while the new one is in the enclosure. Test it by booting to the external and make sure it boots correctly and has all of your stuff intact. Then switch them. You can use SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner for cloning. -GDF

4. macamacamac thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally installed

It looks like the hard drive was not properly seated because I was having trouble with the rubber guides. The two rubber pieces are held in place by adhesives, but it was not sticking anymore. Apparently, one of the pieces was pushed back and although I thought I had a connection, the hard drive was not inserted all the way in. I had to use a screwdriver to keep the rubber pieces in place while I installed the hard drive. After booting from my old drive connected by USB, the drive was recognized and formatted right away. Now I am cloning the original drive using Carbon Copy Cloner.

Thank for all the help.

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Cool beans! Glad you were able to get it going. :)