Trying to install Lion...but have an issue [Restricted Network]

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by GizmoDVD, Jan 10, 2013.

1. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Hey all,

My friend has asked me to up date his computer. One of the things he wanted is to install Lion since he was having issues with it. He bough the computer used (Macbook Pro4,1), and it is Lion compatible with 4GB of RAM. Everytime I open Lion after about 10 seconds it pops up saying Lion is not supported by the network (I had just previously installed Snow Leopard and updated to 10.6.8 with no issues). Now, he bought this used so I don't know if he did a clean wipe before hand or not, but he is Admin and the only person who has an account.

The computer was previously purchased from a Museum that upgrades Macs every few years so I'm sure they put restrictions on it so their employee's couldn't update the OS X.

Is there anything I can do to eliminate that message from popping up or do I have to wipe the computer clean?

2. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

check System Preferences > Networks and see what type of networks are in the list.

anytime getting a new machine, id highly recommend erase and install the OS.
    no telling what type of damage was done or particular preferences were in place.

3. GizmoDVD thread starter macrumors 65816

Wouldn't those be WifI/Ethernet though? If I disable any type of network connection it still wouldn't allow me to install Lion

4. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Not disable them, but there are settings that may be conflicting with your current network.

So what kind of network are you using to install Lion?
    are you on WPA, WPA2, WEP, WPA Enterprise, PPPoE?

could there be some form of proxy in the network settings?

5. praktical macrumors regular

praktical

Restricted Network

Just out of curiosity what kind of network are you on?