Trying to Install Mac OS X Leopard on my Mac G4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rots28, Mar 7, 2009.

1. rots28 macrumors newbie

My friend gave me a free Mac. It's in very good condition and is only a few years old. It's a Mac G4, so the software needs updating. It currently has Mac OS X Jaguar:apple:. I got the new Mac Box Set (which incudes OS X Leopard, iLife '09, and iWork '09) for my birthday and that night I tried to install it. But for some reason the disc would just eject itself. I tried what felt like forty times and I'm very new to Macs so I don't know what to do. Coulsd someone please help?:confused: Thanks!

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Tell us more about the Mac. Possibly it's old enough that it doesn't have a DVD drive?

4. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Undoubtedly your Mac is not officially supported by OS X Leopard (anything slower than 867Mhz is not.) Nevertheless, you can still install it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=383609

Note that the link in the first post (my post) is the file itself and therefore right click it and save it to your hard drive.

5. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

As IJ Reilly says, the machine might not have a DVD drive. Even some Quicksilver G4s were offered with CD/RW drives.

Left click on the Apple logo at the top left, click on 'About This Mac' for the system profile showing the processor and memory. Click on 'More info' in the box that pops up to see what sort of drives you have.

6. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Besides the obvious that you need a DVD drive in the Mac to install Leopard, you also do NOT want to install Leopard on a machine with less than 2 GB RAM and less than a 1.67 GHz CPU. Leopard will be a royal pain on a machine with weaker specs. I reverted all of my slower Macs back to Tiger and only my PowerBook G4 1.67 runs Leopard well enough.

7. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

Excuse me, but my Powerbook G4 which has 1.25 GB of ram and 1.25 gHz processor runs Leopard flawlessly. I've seen machines with less specs run it fine, like the white Macbook with 512 MB of ram.

Leopard is not the resource hog that Vista is. I believe you are mistaken, sir.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He often is. I'm running Leopard on a G4 867 PowerBook with 640 MB of RAM. This is I believe Apple's bare minimum recommend specs for Leopard. It's no speed-demon, but then it wasn't running Tiger either. I can still use this five year old PowerBook for Keynote '09 presentations, so I'm happy.

Anyway, from the OP's description, I'm guessing his G4 has a CD-RW drive.

9. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

10. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

According to the Leopard box, the minimum specs are:

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5 or PowerPC G4 (867 Mhz or faster) Processor, 512 MB of physical RAM; DVD drive for installation.

So yeah, you're right there.

11. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

My 1.2 ghz iBook G4 with 1.25 gb RAM runs Leopard just fine. Not blazing, but not bad and not noticeably slower than Tiger.

12. GGGUUUYYY macrumors regular

Probably doesn't have a dvd drive.

Leopard runs better then tiger on my 1.25 MDD with 1.5 GB of ram. Could be just the HD it is on though.

13. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Leopard runs fine on my 533 Digital Audio G4 (with a 1.4 Ghz upgrade card), as well as my wife's non-upgraded 533 Digital Audio. Mine has 1.25Gb of ram, and hers has 1 Gb.

14. OneBlueFire macrumors member

OneBlueFire

Your drive is "spitting out" the disc since it doesn't like its taste. Kidding aside, your CD Drive doesn't understand the Leopard Install DVD Disc.

The Solutions:
    A. Install from a USB DVD Drive.
    B. Take your hard drive out and attach it to a mac that does have a DVD drive then perform installation.
    C. Upgrade your CD-RW Drive to a Superdrive.
    D. Install from a USB DVD Drive. (LOL!)

"A" really is your most cost-efficient and easiest solution.

I hope I've helped...

15. madog macrumors 65816

madog

The G4's either came with a DVD reader or CD burner. Either way, the first thing that I replaced on my G4 was the optical drive as the standard DVD reader I had sucked enormously after a few years and couldn't read any new or burned disks (it only read the older retail DVD's I had at the time).

If you know how to replace the optical drive on your G4 (it's not all that difficult, instructions can easily be found online if not videos from YouTube), it's rather inexpensive to get the newest style DL DVD/CD burner for under $75.

Aside from that, click on the Apple Menu on the upper left hand side of the screen and click About This Mac to view your system information. 512MB RAM and an 867mhz processor are required for Leopard, though I personally recommend 1Ghz and 1GB of RAM for a better experience; however; while some G4's had dual processors (labeled as DP in About This Mac), even the 800mhz DP G4's doesn't officially meet the req. for Leopard.

As a side note, if you don't meet the minimum requirements yet still want to try Leopard out or if you want to avoid purchasing a new optical drive, if you have a friend with a non Intel Mac (a Powerbook or other G4 tower; a G5 may work) you can install Leopard using Target Disk Mode (as long as the other Mac you are using does meet the req.), though I wouldn't personally recommend this if you are using it to bypass the minimum requirements.

If you don't want to install a new drive yourself, as any repair shop will charge you too much for the amount of work involved for this particular thing, I suggest purchasing a FireWire drive instead of USB. The old G4's didn't have USB 2.0 and I believe that only the newer Intel machines can boot from USB devices. Yours can boot from FireWire devices. I haven't checked lately but Lacie offered FireWire DVD burners for Mac for around $120.

16. furtrader macrumors newbie

similar situation

I'm also trying to install Leopard on PowerMac G4 (867mhz, dvd-superdrive, 512mb).
    The difference is, mine is a used school purchase.
    I insert disk, dialogue comes up and I select restart to install. The Mac restarts & rather than installing the new OS, the old 10.0.4 loads up. I've tried holding down C and I've tried cmd,shift,option,delete (both on startup) and still nothing. I'm thinking this Mac has locks to prevent student mischief. If anyone can help ,that would be cool.

I'm new to this site and don't know how to post a new thread, but this one seems close enough.
    P.S. I'm also new to Mac's (have two PC's) Thank you.

17. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Is your copy of Leopard the retail version or one that came with a specific computer? If not the retail version, that's why it won't work. If it is the retail version, it should boot up.

18. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Running Leopard on a near-minimum-spec G4 is a nightmare. Trust me, I did it for a year before giving up in frustration and reverting back to Tiger. My machine in question was an iBook G4 / 1GHz / 640MB. My friend has a similar iBook G4 / 1.42GHz / 512MB and it was even worse. More beachballs than a Jimmy Buffett concert. Even magnifying the dock was clunky, like a 4fps animation. I suspect more RAM would have made a world of difference with both iBook's but the fact remains -- for "normal" day-to-day use, a near-minimum spec G4 just ain't up to Leopard. (Tiger still streaks on them BTW!)