Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Ok,
So, I totally new at the tech part of computers. So, I'll ask so dumb questions:

These are standard tech terms/acronyms that just require a web search and some reading…

"Your Mac Pro right now have at least 10+ years of usage, the BootROM probably already have issues with the NVRAM volume right now.
A BootROM reconstruction service will be something that you gonna need to keep your Mac Pro working and avoid bricking in the future."

What do you mean by my "BootROM has issues with the NVRAM volume?

All Mac Pros fail one component of the main logic board over time, logically and physically. It's a SPI flash memory that stores the BootROM, this SPI flash memory when fails, completely bricks the Mac Pro.

Keeping the BootROM working is a necessary maintenance for a 10+ years old Mac Pro.

" What is BootROM and NVRAM?

BootROM is the firmware that initializes/enumerate/configures all your hardware and finally loads your operational system. BootROM is running while you see the Apple on your screen right after powering your Mac Pro.

NVRAM is the memory area of the whole BootROM image that stores parameters. It fails hard over time, Apple didn't designed it for 14+ years of usage (the design is essentially the same for early-2009, mid-2010s and mid-2012, changing some details and had some little tweaks over production of the three models).

Also, besides the logical problems, the SPI flash itself is a component with limited expected life-time and Mac Pros that didn't had it replaced are bricking every day. Think that is something like the factory installed hard drive, if yours didn't failed yet, it will.

What is a BootROM reconstruction service?

It's a paid service to clean-up/repair problems, fully upgrade and reconstruct your Mac Pro BootROM image to the EFI 144.0.0.0.0. This process also include the EnableGop injection.

If you are interested, I can send you a PM with details/instructions/cost.

Is that something can do myself or do I have to take it to a tech?

It's a specialized service, you will send the required files and later flash back the never booted reconstructed BootROM image to your Mac Pro following the instructions, but you can't do the reconstruction process yourself.

The reconstructed BootROM image already have EnableGop injected, so, no issue with advanced skills.

What is EnabeGop? When you say reconstructed BootROM image have EnableGop, what does this mean and does it relieve me of the above mentioned reconstruct etc.

I've linked the reference thread to you earlier, EnableGop is an EFI module that provide pre-boot configuration support with modern UEFI PC GPUs that support the Graphics Output Protocol.

Once your Mac Pro BootROM have EnableGop injected, you can use any modern UEFI PC GPU that is known to work with a Mac Pro.

Just want be able to plug and play.

Even if you open your wallet and buy a MacVidCards GPU for £ 240+, you still have to address BootROM/NVRAM problems in the very near future.

Seems you didn't noticed yet that the age when the MacPro5,1 was plug and play is long gone and ended back with Sierra days. Everything from there demands user effort with firmware upgrades, preventive maintenance, component replacement (like the RTC battery, fans, disks and the backplane SPI flash memory, for example) and etc.

One HP GT 630 (684455-002 702084-001 B4J92AT) + EnableGop = perfect pre-boot configuration support up to full HD screens.

So does this mean, with this card, I won't have to do any set up or installs?

The HP GT 630 is compatible with Mojave, from the box, but to have pre-boot configuration with this GPU installed on your Mac Pro, you need to do one of the below:

• have a BootROM reconstruction service to solve all the BootROM/NVRAM issues and also have EnableGop injected, solving multiple problems at once.
  • flash yourself the HP GT 630 with the Mac EFI firmware I've linked earlier in the thread via Windows/Linux.
  • flash EnableGop EFI module to the GPU firmware (extreme advanced process, not recommended).
  • or use the GPU without any pre-boot configuration support at all.

If you already have your reconstructed BootROM flashed to your Mac Pro, it's just a matter to open the case, install it to one of the PCIe slots and close the case back to install Mojave.

You won't even be asked to do the High Sierra and then Mojave EFI firmware upgrades.

I'll have my boot up screen with this pre installed EnableGop?

Yes.

Will this card allow me to move up from Mojave?

Yes.

aftermid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2023
Wow! A lot info here. It sounds like the spi and ndram is about to fail. I'm sure I said those acronyms wrong. Do I need to address this, before getting a card? I'm looking to put a mac metal card to go from my High Sierra to Mojave and higher. Can I do this and still have the boot up screen? I don't know why, but I would think the boot screen is important, what ramifications could there be without it?
I read one of your threads explaining this and you mention; "Mac Pro 1,1 to 5,1 EFI supports UGA (MacPro1,1 and MacPro2,1) or UGA over GOP (MacPro3,1), Apple GOP flavor (MacPro5,1) and a GPU that have pre-boot configuration support will support/work with:" Wanted to learn a bit more, but I get lost in the simple stuff like what is UGA, GOP, and firevault and how is this relevant to the card install? I am sure this simple, in the tech world, but for newbees, it's like a foreign language. Thanks for the help and answering my silly questions. Really appreciate the help.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Wow! A lot info here. It sounds like the spi and ndram is about to fail. I'm sure I said those acronyms wrong. Do I need to address this, before getting a card?

Correct, like I wrote, with a BootROM reconstruction service you will solve two problems at once.

I'm looking to put a mac metal card to go from my High Sierra to Mojave and higher. Can I do this and still have the boot up screen?

Yes, no need to ask the same thing again in a different way, the answer is exact the same - with a BootROM reconstruction you will get a PC GPU known to work with Mac Pro, open the case, install, close the case, power up.

Pre-boot configuration support solved once and forever.

I don't know why, but I would think the boot screen is important, what ramifications could there be without it?

Not being snarky, but this is one of the things that if you don't know why is important and affects your usage of the Mac Pro, you really don't need it. :p

Boot screens are not the most important part of pre-boot configuration support, you can sure live without it, but what you really need is BootPicker support, so you can select different disks, like you BootCamp disk, your Mojave disk or your High Sierra disk.

I read one of your threads explaining this and you mention; "Mac Pro 1,1 to 5,1 EFI supports UGA (MacPro1,1 and MacPro2,1) or UGA over GOP (MacPro3,1), Apple GOP flavor (MacPro5,1) and a GPU that have pre-boot configuration support will support/work with:" Wanted to learn a bit more, but I get lost in the simple stuff like what is UGA, GOP, and firevault and how is this relevant to the card install? I am sure this simple, in the tech world, but for newbees, it's like a foreign language. Thanks for the help and answering my silly questions.

Google/Wikipedia are there to help with these questions, these are completely standard tech acronyms/words/concepts that you are one search away from the explanation.

Just follow the rabbit.

Really appreciate the help.

Glad to help.

Last edited:

aftermid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2023
Ok, so it sounds like I need to do this BootROM reconstruction first, before putting any card, would that be true?

Also, you mentioned "Boot screens are not the most important part of pre-boot configuration support, you can sure live without it, but what you really need is BootPicker support, so you can select different disks, like you BootCamp disk, your Mojave disk or your High Sierra disk."

What is BootPicker support and is that something I can do myself?

In the event, I decide to stay with the card I have, it sounds like the NVRAM and the BootROM will eventually fail, due to the computer's age, is this something that can be fixed after the fact?

The reason I ask is, because the Apple stores won't touch these computers, because they no longer support them and the two so called certified repair shops here are sketchy at best and swindle most of their customers, so there are not really any around here that are reliable. Don't know if you have a way of finding an actual Apple tech that's for real. Even doing the preventive NVRAM and Bootrom upkeep could be scary. Around here the computer might come out worse than it came in, they'll break it and hold your computer hostage, until you pay for the destruction they did. That's why I wonder, if I can do it myself, because the outcome might be better with nothing to lose. At least, if I break it, it didn't cost me anything.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Ok, so it sounds like I need to do this BootROM reconstruction first, before putting any card, would that be true?

Also, you mentioned "Boot screens are not the most important part of pre-boot configuration support, you can sure live without it, but what you really need is BootPicker support, so you can select different disks, like you BootCamp disk, your Mojave disk or your High Sierra disk."

What is BootPicker support and is that something I can do myself?

@aftermid do you seriously do not know what the BootPicker is? Really?

Apple Boot Picker.jpg

In the event, I decide to stay with the card I have, it sounds like the NVRAM and the BootROM will eventually fail, due to the computer's age, is this something that can be fixed after the fact?

If you are capable of replacing the SPI flash memory, requires desoldering/soldering a new a 8-pin SOIC/SOJ chip, if not, you'll need to buy a MacPro5,1 A1289 MATT card from cmizapper.com for €65.

Btw, you need the BootROM reconstructed already, since you will flash it to the MATT card after the card is connected to the backplane.

Most people buy a MATT card before it fails, but if a week or two waiting with the Mac Pro off service is not a problem for you, you can buy the MATT card after the failure.

The reason I ask is, because the Apple stores won't touch these computers, because they no longer support them and the two so called certified repair shops here are sketchy at best and swindle most of their customers, so there are not really any around here that are reliable. Don't know if you have a way of finding an actual Apple tech that's for real. Even doing the preventive NVRAM and Bootrom upkeep could be scary. Around here the computer might come out worse than it came in, they'll break it and hold your computer hostage, until you pay for the destruction they did. That's why I wonder, if I can do it myself, because the outcome might be better with nothing to lose. At least, if I break it, it didn't cost me anything.

I've sent you a PM with instructions and cost for the BootROM reconstruction process, see if is something that you can get everything required or you will need a friend/tech to get it for you.

Last edited:

aftermid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2023
Seriously didn't know what a BootPicker was. Being from the Windows world, I always referred to this as a selective drive boot up, which is what I imagine you mean by bootpicker. On a good note, I do solder quite well.

Cheekyrobot

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
I have the rog strix amd radeon rx 560 but after boot cant pass a black screen on mac os ventura, can someone please help? thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.