Trying to install OS 9 on Power Mac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LOLZpersonok, Oct 23, 2014.

1. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I'm trying to install Mac OS 9 on my Power Mac G4, which is an MDD model, without FireWire 800, so it supports booting to Mac OS 9.

The thing is, when I bought the machine, I don't seem to be able to use the Mac OS 9 CD that I got with the computer. I know this because it will not boot to the CD at all from Open Firmware, Mac OS X 10.5 (which I have since wiped in my attempts to install OS 9), by holding the "C" key or by holding the "Option" key. I also see on the disk that it has a copyright date of 1999, where the Power Mac G4 MDD models require a specific version of Mac OS 9 to boot to, which I don't have. The disk would have to say 2003 on it.

I did a search on eBay, and it yielded what appears to be a Mac OS 9 disk specific to the Power Mac G4, and I would buy it, however, with the money I have, I need to either buy an upgrade GPU for this Power Mac or a new screen for my netbook. So, besides that, there's nothing else that I can find on the internet.

I'm gonna get shot for this, but I need some help. Is there a way to get my OS 9 CD to boot on my Power Mac? Are there files or lines of code that I need to modify, add or change?

----------

Actually, I think I may have just answered my question. I found a copy of OS 9.2.2 for the Power Mac G4 MDD on Macintosh Garden (I didn't pirate it! If I get into a mess, it wasn't my fault because Macintosh Garden is supposed to give out free to download software or abandoned software!). Well, that's what it says. We'll see for sure.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Obtaining OS 9 from that site is still pirating. Apple has not released that particular version of OS 9 for free download. It is hosted on a third party server without apple's express written permission.

3. CYB3RBYTE macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

Quicksilvers and up require at least OS 9.2.2.

However, The Macintosh Garden is technically hosting a version of OS 9 without Apple's written consent. I used these versions for an OS 9 restore on my Quicksilver once, but it turns out they have absolutely no extensions by third parties.

You should look for a restore disk for your specific machine through Ebay, as piracy should be a last and dire option.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

You need a factory MDD software restoration disk set-or at least the OS 9 disk from the same-to install OS 9 on that computer.

The part numbers on the disks that came with my MDD are as follows

1. 691-3545-A
    2. 2Z691-3547-A
    3. 2Z691-3548-A
    4. 2Z691-3600-A

The part number on the folder is 603-1918-A

Look for these on Ebay-they are not difficult to find.

5. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

The MDD models had a special version of OS 9. You cannot use a stock OS 9 install disc on them. :(

You can only get it from the restore discs, so you will have to go to eBay for them. As said before, they're easy to find.

6. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

emac may work

Emac disks for reinstall can sometimes work. I used mine on a G4 powerbook for OS9 and 10. The only issue was making sure you make the drive OS 9 bootable in disk utility first.

7. n0cus macrumors 6502

If all you need is to boot into OS 9, you can do so legally by downloading NetBoot for OS 9 from Apple's website, and extracting the System Folder. Follow these instructions.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think that image will work on MDD or later TiBooks.

9. n0cus macrumors 6502

It might still be worth a shot.

10. weckart macrumors 68040

I gave it a whirl on my 1Ghz TiBook. I extracted the NetBootHD image and burnt it to CD as a bootable volume using Toast on OS9. NetBoot booted up quite slowly with a garish wallpaper. The Control Strip showed on the bottom and then I got a Finder beep with an error dialog "Macintosh Manager cannot automatically find any servers.." I also got a yellow Finder box stating that "the application Login has unexpectedly quit". Deadlock.

Tried again for luck. This time I got a dialog to exit Macintosh Manager. It required a server admin login or the computer's password. It would not accept any password I tried. Gave up at this stage.

The System Folder looks promising but the image will require pruning before it is ready for prime time.

[EDIT] Should have read the linked instructions. No wonder my password would not work, lol.

11. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

password

netboot login NBUser
    netboot password netboot

hope that helps

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

One of the more unique things that the later TiBooks needs is the special extensions for audio. If the audio works, they the image will work correctly on TiBooks. If there is no audio devices detected, then it isn't designed for later TiBooks.

13. weckart macrumors 68040

Indeed. I found out earlier that FW and Sound were the problems with retail disks although any such Sys Folder would give a working environment as long as you could forgo sound and usable external storage.

I made another Netboot disk, this time without the Netboot and MultiUser extensions. This booted in normal time to the Desktop. I checked System Profiler - all hardware detected and the extension for Sound was enabled. Tested with enabling Platinum Sounds in the Appearance control panel and it clicked and popped away as it should.

The sound extension dates to Dec 2001, which makes me think it is possibly not the latest one but it seems to work for this TiBook. I checked to see that it was picking up the extension from the Netboot CD rather than the existing installed System Folder and System Profiler confirmed that the enabled extension was indeed from the CD.

Some more testing will be needed before it gets the OK but it looks promising in the absence of the actual TiBook restore disk.

The ROM used is 9.6.1. On my 2002 QS, which also requires custom installer disks, it is 9.0.1.

One problem encountered, however. No Eric's Ultimate Solitaire Sampler on the Netboot CD. What was Apple thinking of?