Trying to install OS X: "This Apple ID has not yet been used"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by corko, Aug 12, 2016.

1. corko macrumors newbie

This is going to involve some complaining. I'll try to keep it to a minimum, but this has already gotten long.

I just got my first Mac yesterday, a used mid 2010 Macbook. It's in great shape, works fine, I was briefly very pleased with my purchase. Then I tried to reformat/reinstall, as one does whenever buying a used computer. Holy hell has this been a hassle. I'm going to leave out most of that, but I'm at the point now where the drive has been wiped and it's demanding that I log into the Apple App store before it will install the OS. I made an ID and managed to verify it (not trivial, something seems to have been wrong with the servers yesterday), but it's giving me an error: "This Apple ID has not yet been used in the App store" and then it gives me the option to either cancel or "review".

Clicking cancel just cancels the installation, clicking review also cancels the installation. Okay, maybe I can use the ID in the App Store? From what I can tell, what they really mean is iTunes. I'm supposed to use the ID in iTunes, I guess. Maybe. I can't tell because iTunes doesn't run very well in Linux. I can get it to start in WINE, but it doesn't seem to be able to connect to anything. Sort of. It seems to be able to check for updates, but that's it. I can't download the updates, can't log in, and going to the iTunes store makes it crash.

I don't have a Windows computer currently, I bought the Mac to replace my Windows laptop which failed recently. I'm at a loss now on how to proceed. Do I really need to get iTunes working to progress? I can't just log in somewhere on Apple's website? (I've checked this already, but maybe you know something I don't?)

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

what was the OS of the Macbook before you wiped the drive, and how did you wipe the drive : by using the install DVD of Snow Leopard, by booting from the Recovery partition (Cmd + r on chime), by using Internet recovery (Cmd + Option + r), or by using an external bootable volume ?

3. corko thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Ok.

if the OS was 10.10, and if you booted into the Recovery partition (Cmd + r), it should be offering to install 10.10.

BUT, because 10.10 is not the original OS that came with the machine, and because YOU never downloaded it from the App Store with your Apple ID, you won't be able to download it.

This Macbook (if it has been updated) can use Internet Recovery : by booting into Internet Recovery (Cmd + Option + r), you should be able to download and install Lion.
    Then you will be able to download 10.11 with your own Apple ID.

I don't know if you will have the same problem ("This Apple ID has not yet been used in the App store"), though.

But give it a try, anyway.

5. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

So, the problem that you're running into is your Apple ID hasn't been registered as belonging to someone with a Mac. That's part of what it does when you go through the setup process for the first time, especially now that everything software related from Apple gets funneled through the Mac App Store. The OS is free now, but you're still paying for it through the purchase of your Mac, that's why they don't just let you download it with any Apple ID. To solve your problem, you're going to have to either find a Snow Leopard DVD or use a USB drive with the installer on it to install macOS. Once you get it installed and go through the initial setup, you should be golden.

6. corko, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016

corko thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck with Internet Recovery, it doesn't seem to be doing anything different from regular recovery. Regular recovery did have networking enabled, so I'm not clear on what the difference between those it supposed to be.

Edit: Ah. It looks like Cmd+r is also Internet Recovery, so it doesn't look like there's any difference between Cmd+r and Cmd+Option+r.

As for installing from disk: I don't have any disks. Is there somewhere I can do to download one? (legally) Also, why do you say Snow Leopard? I bought this Mac partly because it came with 10.10, specifically because I need 10.8 or higher. Is Snow Leopard just the last version released on DVD?

I'm not sure about this logic: "The OS is free now, but you're still paying for it through the purchase of your Mac, that's why they don't just let you download it with any Apple ID." They can verify that the request is coming from a Mac, and therefore that it was covered by the purchase price. I'm surprised that they don't let me do that verification from within recovery, that seems important. I can't be the only one who's run into this.

7. corko thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, well I found Apple's official instructions to do what I did:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Which are basically the same as the others. There is a difference though, these instructions say, "This installs the OS X that came with your Mac when it was new. This version isn't associated with your Apple ID. The new owner can then use the Mac App Store to upgrade OS X with their Apple ID."

This implies that no ID is required to at least install some version of OS X. That is not at all the case for me: the Apple ID is very clearly non-optional, the installation will not proceed without it.

On another page I also found an explanation for why Cmd-R and Cmd-Option-R are doing the same thing: "Newer Mac computers and some older Mac computers automatically try to start up from OS X Internet Recovery when unable to start from OS X Recovery. If that happens, your computer's memory and startup disk are tested before startup completes. "

Although... maybe if it were possible for me to boot into regular recovery I wouldn't have to deal with this login thing?

8. Bruno09, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Starting from Internet Recovery instead of OS X Recovery when using Cmd + r means that the Recovery partition is missing, or not functional.

If you were able to boot into OS X Recovery (10.10) you would not go any further because it would offer to download 10.10 and nothing else.
    BUT, since you never downloaded 10.10 with your Apple ID, you could not download it.
    Only the previous owner could download and install 10.10.

Some options :

- have you an Apple Store or APR nearby ? If yes have them install the OS you want.

- can you have access to a friend's or relative's Mac ?
    If yes, have your mail password, login to the App Store, you might be invited to validate your Apple ID either by clicking a link in a mail, or by SMS, I don't know.
    Now that your Apple iD is validated and functional, download El Capitan (the only OS available on the App Store for you), then create a bootable USB installer this way.

On your Macbook, boot from the USB installer (Option key on boot) and install El Cap.

9. corko thread starter macrumors newbie

All right, thanks all. I was finally able to resolve this by installing a pirated OS, validating my Apple ID with that, downloading a legit copy of OS X, and then doing a clean install with the new download.

Every step of this process has been a slog, but it's working now. Thanks to everyone for the help.

10. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

It sounds like you found the perfect storm of this situation to not work. I'm glad to hear that you got it figured out and enjoy your new Mac! I promise, it's not always like this :p

11. vrataski, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016

vrataski macrumors newbie

Croko its nice to know u solve ur problem,
    its a tread from aug 18

but sadly im having the same problem as u, can u show me how u did solve it?
    if u use pirated mac os, can u share the mac os version and link with me?
    cuz ive been trying a few pirated mac os, and havent found a single one compatible with my macbook air late 2010
    your help and reply would be much expected and apprieciated

thanks,
    and have a good day

u can reach me by email
    zimizhu@gmail.com

12. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

Not that I would need to myself, but you will find that most pirate versions of macOS are for hackintosh PCs.
    What you would be best doing is to obtain the mac app store pirate version of the first OS X for your mac, then sign in with your own apple ID once you have got it installed to get the current version on your apple ID.

Alternatively, get a friend who has acquired a os x / macOS on their apple ID to make an install usb drive.
    (This can be googled quickly, and involves a little terminal work for createinstallmedia command .)

13. vrataski macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Oct 15, 2016 ---
    thanks for your quick reply kiwi
    so what u mean is, if i have a lion mac os as the first os x, then i should be getting the mac os x lion (appstore) version to download
    correct me if im wrong

n ur second suggestion is not an option, most of my friend use windows
    haha

14. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

Mostly correct. Your 2010 MBA started with snow leopard. You should be able to find it on TPB, check the comments that it is not for hackintosh PCs. Load that up on an install USB, which you should be able to google instructions for if the TPB page doesn't include instructions in the comments.
    Check that the Snow Leopard 10.6.8 works before loading up the mac app store. (If it is earlier than 10.6.8, then it won't have the mac app store and you will need to do a software update.) [you can check that it is 10.6.8 by clicking :apple:menu->About this mac , then it will give you the basic details of your mac.]

You could also get mac os x lion, or mountain lion, or mavericks, or yosemite, or el capitan from TPB , as these are unlikely to be still available from the mac app store. However, it is just as easy to skip straight to macOS Sierra direct from the app store.

Then get your apple ID, and click get on macOS Sierra. Then after it has downloaded, let it install for half an hour, and you will come back after a meal break to have Siri and all the other new good things available.

15. vrataski macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion kiwi
    U make it very clear and understand able, which is very helpful

But maybe i didnt make myself clear enough
    this is how i get myself in this kind of mess
    1. I Bought a mac it works like charms at first (running yoshemite)
    2. I Tried to restore it to factory default (i did it to make it feel like a new mac) which is a wrong move
    3. I follow instructions from google by formating (erasing) the hdd and installing it again by using recovery
    4. Which lead me into a reboot and i end up in internet recovery (cuz i formated the mac) and a lion mac os internet recovery
    5. It ask for apple id and password when installing, so i created one with windows but it say app is temporary unavailable and won't let me install
    6. Which why i ended up finding this post about using pirated os help and started this thread again.

and the problem im in now
    1. A Mac that won't boot into mac os, because there were none
    2. Internet recovery that won't work because I have no apple id that come with the mac

things i tried
    1. Mac a bootable USB drive using Transmac(windows)
    2. Downloaded from TPB n created, Mac os Mountain lion.dmg (No), mac os Sierra.dmg (No), Mac os Elcapitan.dmg (Grey Screen with Prohibited sign)
    3. So im lost

Which lead me to here
    So, did i need to get the appstore lion version like u suggest and create a bootable usb drive with transmac to see if this work?

Thanks for willing to read my problem and helping
    Thats very nice of u guys

16. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

You need to make it bootable, then boot off the USB by holding option key when starting up, select the install disk.
    Then install it from there.
    Do not use internet recovery install until you have an apple ID.

Once you have installed from the USB disk, make an apple ID, then login to the app store and get macOS Sierra.
    Quit the installer for now.
    You can then create an install USB disk for Sierra on a untitled 8GB drive as a backup if things go wrong.
    Then run the installer from the applications folder. It will delete from your applications folder after install, but you will still have it in your apple ID to download again, and on the USB drive.

Yes, you will need transmac to create the install USB. It should be HFS+ filesystem formatted.

17. vrataski macrumors newbie

im here to close my current thread.
    Thanks guys especially to Kiwipeso1 for your clear explanation and help
    i manage to solve the problem by reinstalling to the os x that comes with my mac first (which is lion in my case)
    and create a new apple id and updating a legal version from there.
    So if there anyone out there facing the same case, hope u guys find this thread and solve it too
    if u encounter any problem, just post it here
    i or someone else in this forum will be happy to assist u

Once again
    Thank you guys for helping and hearing about my problem
    Hope u guys have a great day

18. jamobruh macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2017 ---
    I could use that link
    I could use that link

19. mas bravo, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

mas bravo macrumors newbie

hello there, i also have this problem, if there is any one still in here to help, your help shall be highly appreciated, i erased my macbook 5,2 after following instuctions from google, at the point of reinstalling the os i was asked for apple id but when i put they, they tell me it has not been used with app store, i tried internet recovery, it also failed, after seeing this post i decide to down load transmac and make my usb debootable using the os x 10.8.5 install that i had downloaded from google. it was 4.18 gb but when i try to make the usb debootable, they tell me to select file and i only see the file with a disk image which has asmall capacity of about 372 mbs, am i on the write track,

then when i put the debootable usb in the macbook and power on while holding option key, i see recovey os x 10.8.3, i dont get options to select my new usb disk and install, and am i supposed to download the exact version of installer that came with the machine at purchase or any loin version can work, thanks so much to read my problem, what can i do, i dont even have any friend with a mac or an apple id,

20. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

adrianlondon

I would have thought the easiest way forward, assuming you have one near-ish, is to take the laptop to your Apple store and ask them to reinstall the OS for you.

21. mas bravo macrumors newbie

the also seems ok but am far away from that centre and currently fixed with exams yet am supposed to take some online classes, i just want someone to tell me the last step after inserting the bootable usb, what am i supposed to do and what steps do i follow.