Trying to install OS X

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StokeLee, Jul 1, 2016.

1. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Hi,
    So its been a while since I last posted. Hopefully theres some help out there :)

My macbook pro froze, crashed, and when it rebooted i had the dreaded Question mark folder screen. So attempted internet recovery, and it ccould not see my hard drive. Not able to check in another machine if its ok, or if it died.. So ordered a new drive, installed it, and ran internet recovery again. nothing, couldnt see the drive. Reset Npram.. and finally, it was there. Then went to start the install, format etc etc, an error started it couldnt write to last sector, and it stopped.. rebooted, tried again, couldnt find the drive. reset Npram again,, still nothing.. im out of ideas, and searches just tell me to do what ive already done.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It'll be the SATA cable they are notoriously flaky when fiddled with, they are cheap and easily available online.

3. shoehornhands macrumors regular

If you have another Mac, you can download OS X in the app store, and create an installation USB from the downloaded copy. You can then boot from the installation USB and install OS X from there (i.e. running the installation entirely from the external USB).

To create the install USB, simply download OS X from the App store (it should download to your applications folder), insert a USB drive that's at least 8GB (formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)), rename the USB drive "USB" and then run the command below in Terminal (you can simply copy and paste, and it will ask you to enter your password):

For El Capitan:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --no interaction

For Yosemite:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --no interaction

You can then boot into the install USB / installer by restarting the computer, and holding down the option key immediately after you hear the startup sound.

Anyway, I've found this method to work several times, when nothing else would.