Trying to install software

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by The Beatles, Apr 21, 2012.

1. The Beatles macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

Im using OSX Lion

I have two accounts:

Admin
    AndUser

I wanted to install software and i was logged in as AndUser, it prompted an Admin request for Password which i entered correctly.

I then continued to install the software (remember I'm in AndUser mode). But at the end, it said i didn't have the privileges to install in the Applications folder. I then selected it to install on the AndUser desktop, but it still said i didn't have privileges.

So my GUESS was that i needed to LOG out and try installing while logged in as the Admin.

Is this necessary? So whenever i want to install something i have to install while logged in as Admin? I can't just Log in as AndUser and just type in the Admin password during installation?

Thank you.

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Installing software in Mac OS X requires an administrator account name and password.

3. The Beatles thread starter macrumors regular

yes, got that.

however, AFTER i typed in the admin User name and Password, it continued to install but at the end it said i couldn't install in the app folder due to privileges. By the way, this is a fresh install on a new hard drive from Apple.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Some applications may require you to log in as an administrator to install them. I don't think it happens all the time, but I noticed that Logic Studio, eg, required that at least at some point.