TRYING to install Tiger 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brian08, Sep 5, 2008.

1. brian08 macrumors newbie

I am running a G4 Dual drive (it has system 9 also) and OS X 10.3.9. I have over 23 Gig of space available and 1.2 Gig Ram. I am trying to install 10.4 upgrade and everything goes ok during installation until the install discs reaches the "Verifying Destination Location"....Then I get an error message " There were errors installing the software" "Please try reinstalling".

OK, so I tried 4 times but to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I could really use some help! My machine seems to run fine with no problems so I hope it's not my drive. Could it be a bad install disc? I got it through MegaWatts if anyone is familiar with them.

Thanks in advance for any help at all!

Brian

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like your disk has filesystem damage. You can fix this with Disk Utility - access it from the Mac OS X installer disc by clicking Utilities from the top menu.

If that fails, I recommend AlSoft's DiskWarrior for fixing messed up disks. It has saved 2 disks for me so far :D

If it succeeds, great! Try installing again. If it reports that the volume appears to be OK, then something else is the cause.

3. brian08 thread starter macrumors newbie

When you say "Filesystem damage" which disc...My hard drive or the install disc? Can't I just run Disk Utility from my hard drive in my Utilities? I do remember running that a week or so ago however. Does it make a difference to run from the install disc?

thx

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Your hard drive, and no - you cannot make repairs on your startup disk. You MUST boot from an alternate disk to repair the startup disk, such as the Mac OS X install disc. In fact, in early versions of Mac OS X (this may include Panther - I'm not sure) you can't even verify the startup disk.

5. brian08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. OK, I tried that and there was an error. The Utility would not finish repairing do to error. I suppose I should try your earlier mentioned "AlSoft's DiskWarrior". Do you think that will repair the disk?

It is weird because my disk seems to operate fine. Do you think this error is what is causing tiger to fail install?

thank you!

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, and yes - to both your questions.