Trying to install Tiger on ext. HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bsheridan, Jan 28, 2009.

1. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

I've searched google but cant find an answer to my question.

I have an external HD, partitioned into 2 volumes, where 1 volume is empty and I want to install Tiger onto this volume.
    Trouble is when I boot into the install CD and try to install on this volume it says that it 'cannot install on this volume.Mac OS cannot boot into this volume.'

I found on google that when partitioning the whole ext. HD, there is an option about a GUID or something which allows the drive be bootable.
    This would be useful but it would wipe my whole drive, including the other volume.

I do not want to do a clone of my int. HD, and SuperDuper! it onto the ext. HD.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks for reading, b.

2. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

I do not know what type of mac you're using, hence I don't know what size HDDs you're using, but this is what I would do.

Swap out your macs internal, for the external. Run the tiger install as if you we're installing it for realz. Once complete, just swap your original internal HDD back, and voila. Tiger on an external.

Again, don't know if you're using a desktop mac or a macbook, with a 2.5 or 3.5 inch hard drives. So if you're using 2 different sizes, then disregard my post. :)

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well you have not mentioned what type of Mac nor what type of Tiger installation disks you have which does make a difference in this case. If you have the black retail Tiger Installer DVD and are trying to install it on a external drive hung off an Intel based Mac you will have no joy.

The retail installer disks for Tiger were not released in a Universal binary format for installing on PowerPC and Intel based Macs (some people swear that the latest update of the Tiger retail installer, which was 10.4.6, was universal but I have one and it is not). The Intel based Macs that shipped with Tiger had a compatible version of Tiger on the System Restore disks that accompanied the computer when sold (the grey disks) which will work but not retail.

If you have a grey restore set with Tiger and are trying to install on the external drive, then if you still have trouble it most likely is the partition map scheme. Unless the external is formatted as Mac OS Extended with the correct partiton map scheme (APM for PowerPC Macs, GUID for Intel based) the installer will not work. If the drive has never been formatted it was probably purchased with a PC format and partiton map (MBR) and will not be a valid candidate for OS installation.

4. bsheridan thread starter macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Sorry forgot to say I've a MB 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 120GB 2GB RAM and the ext HD is a WD USB Passport. The volume is 120GB also (well 111.6GB to be exact). The Tiger disks are the ones that came with MB (the grey ones).

After a bit of further searching I'm lead to believe this won't be possible without a complete wipe of the HD.

The swapping the drives seems like the best option atm.
    Thanks for your input guys
    b.