Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boysdontcry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
New York
Hello all. I have a MacBook Pro from about 3 months ago. Came with Leopard 10.5.2. Now has 10.5.3 with all updates. I need to use Pro Tools recording software which is not yet compatible with Leopard. I have an Iomega firewire drive. I thought to install Tiger (of which I have 2 sets of install discs, 10.4.5 and 10.4.6), boot off that whenever I want to record music and run Pro Tools off that. I partitioned the external drive and the Mac sees it fine. However I can't boot to the Tiger install discs at all. I'm holding C down and the machine just goes into Leopard from both sets of discs. I put in my Leopard install disc and it boots to that. Anyone have any ideas on the best (or only) way to get Tiger installed on the firewire drive and be able to boot to that at will on restart? I'd appreciate any thoughts as I'd really like to get this going immediately.
Thanks.
Mike

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Hi,

did you try to hold down the alt/option key as you start up (instead of C). This should give you a screen where you can select which source to boot from.

For, installing Tiger on an external FW disk went really smooth.
/Rupert

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
what you're trying to do is impossible

those tiger discs you have are either restore disks, which ONLY work in the machine they shipped with, or they are retail discs, meaning they are POWERPC only
either way, they wont be bootable, and if you ever do get them to boot, you wont be able to install tiger

amelie122

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
Rhode Island
Trying to install retail v of Tiger on PPC with firewire ex drive

I've encountered a problem with installing - I'm not sure how to or if I can. I partitioned my Firelite smartdisk on my Intel iMac. I inserted a retail version of Tiger on DVD and dragged the install Tiger disk image onto the smaller partition. No problem doing that. But, after I backed up my PPC slot-loading G3 running Panther onto the larger partition, I tried to launch the Tiger install directly from the image and it told me that the Tiger disk could not be used. So, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong (how I copied it onto the partitioned drive?) Now that I have a retail v of 10.4 I thought I should be able to install it that way but obviously I'm doing something wrong. Can someone explain this to a novice?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Hello all. I have a MacBook Pro from about 3 months ago. Came with Leopard 10.5.2. Now has 10.5.3 with all updates. I need to use Pro Tools recording software which is not yet compatible with Leopard. I have an Iomega firewire drive. I thought to install Tiger (of which I have 2 sets of install discs, 10.4.5 and 10.4.6), boot off that whenever I want to record music and run Pro Tools off that. I partitioned the external drive and the Mac sees it fine. However I can't boot to the Tiger install discs at all. I'm holding C down and the machine just goes into Leopard from both sets of discs. I put in my Leopard install disc and it boots to that. Anyone have any ideas on the best (or only) way to get Tiger installed on the firewire drive and be able to boot to that at will on restart? I'd appreciate any thoughts as I'd really like to get this going immediately.
Thanks.
Mike

OK.. I take it you didn't search the forums.
This topic has been covered before, in all cases, it's not promising.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/455492/ and https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/443017/
it's also been covered here, on another community.

Help!

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
If you have the first generation of SR macbook pros your best bet would be to find someone who bought the computer when they shipped with both tiger and leopard.
Also yell at digidesign

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
While you can't directly install Tiger onto a firewire external, you can clone the drive and make a bootable external with SuperDuper!. I've done it. However you have to hold option during bootup. It was nice to have a bootable backup of my computer.

but you'll have to install Tiger somehow, or get another similar system and clone that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.