Trying to install tiger ( still)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

Hi there. I want to install TIGER on my ext FW HD backup ( I already have a my Panther OS cloned there, so no problem ...I hope)
    My problem is that, the install disc is real slow showing up on the desk top. So When I boot holding C it takes so long that my computer get's fed up waiting and reboots by Default into my old OS. Anybody out there got any bright idea's of how to get around this problem. ( Pismo G3 + Pather 10.3.9)
    I really need tiger 'cos hardly anything works any more with Panther
    Thanks in advance

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if you go to system prefs->startup disk, and select the tiger CD. try reboot and see what happen..

3. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks but I've already tried that.... Same s*** as booting with C, Its just rumbes and buzz's for about 4 minutes and boots into my old sysyem.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You may have either a bad disc, a dirty disc, or a broken optical drive.

To test for a dirty disc: Examine the disc, while it's not in the drive. Is it smudged, got dust on it, or otherwise dirty? If it is, a dry cloth can be used to clean it.

If your disc is NOT dirty, then the next test is to try other discs. If those work normally in your Mac then you have a bad disc. If they do NOT work normally, then your optical drive is broken.

5. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

The install disc does come up on the desk 'eventually' but it take so long that as I said it reboots into my old OS by default... Trying to find a solution that I can force it to boot from the Install disc ?
    Other CD rom's and DVD work fine.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You are causing the computer to (try to) boot from the disk. Since the computer can't read from the disk, it can't boot. There's no way to "force" it to do something that cannot be done.

Is the disk dirty or scratched?