Trying to install Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, only 32 installs

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by adamZero, Oct 22, 2011.

1. adamZero macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,

I have a DVD of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and I am trying to install this on my iMac (11,1; 2.8 GHz quad-core i7 etc). The problem is that when I install it and check out the properties, it says I have 32-bit W7 Pro installed. Has anyone had this problem before? Any ideas on how to fix it?

All help is appreciated!

EDIT: according to this, my computer should be able to take advantage of the 64-bit OS.

2. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure you have the 32bit windows 7 disc. There are two disc version one being 64bit.

3. sngx1275 macrumors regular

sngx1275

Yeh. It sounds like you are installing from a 32bit install disk. Confirm you are installing from a 64bit source.. I've only bought the student version so I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there are disks with both 32bit and 64bit on them..

4. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

You can check the hash and/or checksum to see which iso you have.

Here's the MD5 hash for the 32bit iso version of Win 7 Pro.

D8F675AAEB48057452666B0CD686D7F5

And the checksum

578725D1

If this is the hash you see then you have a 32bit iso.

Here's a free program to check these numbers:

http://implbits.com/HashTab.aspx

Hash/checksum values are used to determine whether a file is genuine or has been tampered with. They can also be used to identify an unknown file.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/MD5

5. adamZero thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your replies. I torrented and burned a 64-bit .iso and installed, and now I have 64-bit Windows working.

I had received the supposed 64-bit disk through MSDNAA for my school, and I checked the receipt and it claims to be 64-bit, however it seems that there was some sort of mixup with that.

Thanks again for the suggestions, you were right that my DVD was wrong :)