iPhone Trying to jailbreak newer iPhone 3gs

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jjustbreathing, Aug 19, 2012.

1. jjustbreathing macrumors newbie

Alright, I'm sure this has already been asked, but I've searched around and can't find a definite answer. I have a newer iPhone 3gs that I received via a free upgrade with AT&T in November, 2011. My question is whether or not it can be jailbroken? The model number is MX640LL and the serial is xx144xxxxxx It's updated to the latest software 5.1.1. I'm nervous about jailbreaking already then I read it's possible some versions of the 3gs could end up bricked. Waah :( If anyone could give me some insight it would be much appreciated!! <3 Clearly I've never jailbroken any other devices before.. .

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You won't brick an iPhone. Just use redsn0w or absinthe to jailbreak it. The thing you read about possible some version of 3GS could end up brick is when people update it to iPad baseband attempting to unlock it. Unlocking and jailbreaking is two different thing.

3. chokem macrumors 6502

Go to Absinthe and read the instructions. Very simple to jailbreak. Make sure you use the one for your iOS, you said 5.1.1. Takes about five minutes, there's also videos on YouTube on how to do it. If you take your time, follow the instructions, you can't brick your phone.

4. jjustbreathing, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

jjustbreathing thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thank you both very much :3 So Absinthe (just for unlocking) doesn't do the iPad baseband update thing then?

5. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Absinthe isn't for unlocking. Use Absinthe to jailbreak it and never attempt to install iPad baseband to new 3GS. iclarified.com has everything you need.

6. jjustbreathing thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thank you. This helped a lot! :)