Trying to launch a program remotely

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gunz, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Gunz macrumors newbie

I currently have a Mac mini working as a media server for my house. The house is controlled entirely with an AMX system. What I would like to do is program my AMX system to tell the mini to run Boxee. By doing this, I save myself the extra step of using a remote desktop app on the iPad to tell the mini to run the program.

What would be the best method to send a command from a third party interface to launch a program?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

If Boxee can be launched from a shell script, I would think you could do it remotely using SSH or even figure out a way to do it from a web browser.

I have an older version, but I can launch mine by typing the following in terminal...
    /Applications/Boxee.app/Contents/MacOS/Boxee

What third party app are you referring to? What is an AMX system? Do you mean this AMX?

3. Gunz thread starter macrumors newbie

The weblink you provided is the correct company. I have an AMX NI3000 processor, which is really capable of doing some cool automation stuff. Unfortunately, the hardware will not support SSH. HTTP and telnet are two protocols that I use regularly within my code, so if there is a way to do it with either of those, that would be great. I understand the risks of leaving a telnet port on a computer open, but have no problems doing so if it makes the system easier for my wife to use.