Trying to learn CSS in Dreamweaver

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by telecarver1, Jan 11, 2010.

1. telecarver1 macrumors newbie

I have taken two Dreamweaver online classes and I still can't figure out how to layout a simple page in CSS. The classes covered a lot of the capabilities of Dreamweaver but skimmed over the basics of CSS layout. I used adobe GoLive for years and layout was simple and quick.

I want to create divs and arrange them on the page and then add content. Dreamweaver is supposed to be WYSIWYG but I can't seem to be able to create a layout or insert content properly.

Is there any simple step by step resource for layout in CSS with Dreamweaver?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If you want to learn CSS properly from DW, stick to code view. Don't try using the WYSIWYG interface as it will just impair your learning at this stage. You might be able to better use it later once you have some grounding in CSS. There's lots of tutorials online for using CSS to do layouts.

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Dreamweaver may be fine for writing CSS, but I don't think it's good for learning it. Check out CSSEdit. You can code your page in Dreamweaver and code your CSS in CSSEdit... the live preview (and 'x-ray') make it extremely intuitive.

4. csau06 macrumors newbie

The W3Schools CSS tutorial is a great place to start. It has samples that you can edit to see how it affects the styling.

Review the css code and associated page html code for sites that you like to see how they've implemented css. Just don't copy it straight as that would probably constitute breach of copyright. It's a great way to learn some tips and tricks though, and help resolve some implementation issues the tutorial sites don't cover.

5. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Agreed with W3c schools; good place to learn. I also bought a couple of books from apress, beginner and advanced and advanced was not real advanced as the basics only touched the surface.
    Some say CSS is basic but the more you look into it there's so many different combinations.

6. telecarver1 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. samwich macrumors regular

8. gmehje macrumors member